New pet owner supplies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onyx79

I'm planning on getting a chinchilla real soon so today i made an order for a cage and some supplies. I ordered these :

Living World Pine Shavings - 35 Litres
Super Pet Chinchilla Chin Hut
Liberta Explorer Large Double Rodent Cage
Animal Dreams Timothy Hay Feed and Bedding 900g
Supreme Science Bathing Sand 1.5L
Drinking Bottle with holding device, 500ml

do i miss anything? except of a wheel and some wooden shelves which i plan on getting later on. and off course a chinchilla :))

for the teeth, is it enough if i put a pine cone in the cage?

Pine cones have to be scrubbed and baked first, and even if you did that, it would not be enough to chew on. Chinchillas like pumice, wood sticks and twigs, loofah....

Also supreme science bathing sand? Maybe someone else can tell you a little bit more about that but i dont think that is good for your chin.

I'd get lots of chin toys. Many people on here sell them and often you can get them at far better prices and of far better quality than what is in the petstore. I'd advise against putting pine cones in the cage. They take a lot of scrubbing and it's still up for debate if enough of the sap is able to be removed. It's far easier and safer to just buy toys that are already safe for your chin. What about food? I'd talk to whoever you're getting the chin on and find out what they are eating. If it's a good food that you can get ahold of, get more of it. If it's not a good food, is super expensive, or you do not feel you can get ahold of more regularly then pick a high quality food to slowly move your chin over to. What about a food dish? Did you get one? Personally I prefer the metal bowls that attach to the side of the cage.

I use blue cloud dust. You can buy it from people on this forum. You can also buy lots of wood sticks/twigs/loofah from people on this forum. I buy my wood from rhonda. If you look at the top of the page you will see a banner that changes every few seconds. It has several people on heres websites that you can check out. Most items sold in petstores for chinchillas are expensive and also not even good for chinchillas. For example those sugar shacks and plastic igloos in the petstores and on some websites are no good even tho they might even have a picture of a chinchilla on them. Any other questions please post them on the forum im sure everyone on here would be happy to answer them before uou get your chinchilla. It is nice to see that you are researching before you buy your chinchilla :) they are great little pets but also alot of work and there is alot of wrong info about them out there.

I just wanted to add that i also got the blue cloud dust from rhonda. It was only 21$ for 14 lbs and that included shipping. Thats an awesome price considering in the petstore it is 9$ for 3 lbs!! And its going to last me a looong time.
Im pretty sure others on here sell it for a good price too.

I use blue cloud dust. You can buy it from people on this forum. You can also buy lots of wood sticks/twigs/loofah from people on this forum. I buy my wood from rhonda. If you look at the top of the page you will see a banner that changes every few seconds. It has several people on heres websites that you can check out. Most items sold in petstores for chinchillas are expensive and also not even good for chinchillas. For example those sugar shacks and plastic igloos in the petstores and on some websites are no good even tho they might even have a picture of a chinchilla on them. Any other questions please post them on the forum im sure everyone on here would be happy to answer them before uou get your chinchilla. It is nice to see that you are researching before you buy your chinchilla :) they are great little pets but also alot of work and there is alot of wrong info about them out there.

thanks for your answers, im pretty sure that people here have better products than the ones you get from a pet store but i'm in europe and i prefer to shop from EU countries so that i dont have problems with customs

Back