New pair of older boys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chikachulove

I finally brought home my pair of males chinchillas home that are 4 and 5 years old. The previous owners said that she had a female chinchilla that caused the two boys to fight. The younger one now has Borg his ears bit up and a big bald spot at the base of his tail. It doesn't bother me too much as now they seem like the best of friends and the little one is still cute. Im just wondering whether the hair should grow back on his own. I realize probably the ears will not heal but should I do anything? The injuries don't look new.

Thank you!

New Momma

If there is scarring where the bald spot is, the hair won't grow back. If it was just chewed off, then it should grow back. If the ears are chewed up on the edges, they'll heal, but chances are they won't grow back to their normal shape. You might want to keep a second cage handy in the case they decide to fight again for whatever reason.

The bald spot is pretty uniform but it doesn't seem like there's scarring it looks like he was just shaved, almost completely smooth.

You might want to keep a second cage handy in the case they decide to fight again for whatever reason.

Agreed. Normally you should have a second cage anyway, but considering their history id definitely make sure i have one in case of a sudden emergency.

Just for comparison, these are some pictures Chelsea's tail the day I brought her home and today. Her tail was completely bare from her pulling the hair out due to boredom. Two weeks later, the new hairs are already visible :) Like javachin said, if there is scarring it won't grow back. But since you said it just looks bare, maybe his hair growth will be similar to Chelsea's!

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
here are some more pics of them. the velvet is the one with the tail problem, named him Nibbler, the beige is Sticky.

Nibbler seems quite thin, the previous owners said they thought he was a runt but I am not sure. I am trying to make sure they are healthy so they seem to have everything they need but I havent seen them eat much. I assume they are still nervous since it is only their second day in their new home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image(2).jpg
    image(2).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
That area looks flakey and a bit red. It could be fungus, though luckily I haven't had to deal with it here so I am not 100% positive.

Back