New owner question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippychichi

Hi everyone

I'm so glad that i've found this forum. We recently brought our baby chinchilla home. It has been very exciting, he's a very curious little boy. I've done quite a bit of research but there are still questions that i need to ask and i would be very grateful if someone could help me.

He's only been home for a few days but he has managed to be ok with our existence in the room. He does sit in our hands if we put them in the cage and he's ok with us slowly moving the hands out with him sitting there. Now about the nail bitting, is it just him being curious or is it he's feeling uncomfortable? Granted, i do have long nails, probably gonna get rid of them. I dont mind he's nibbling but just worried it'll hurt him some how.

He's 3 months old. I know there should be no treats but apart from pellets n lots of hay, is there anything else he may need, foodwise of course. He's quite thin when we got him so im just worries.

Finally. It's about neutering. Do we need to neuter him if he's the only chin? What do i do if he grow up and start humping? Will he grow out of it? And will neutering mean he 'll have a better life? ( like with dogs and cat)

Sorry for so many questions but i hope someone can help me

Thanks

It's normal. He's just nibbling you a bit, probably enjoying the hardness of your nails.

Chins nibble each other when they groom and he will groom you the same way. It's usually a sign that they are comfortable.

I would not castrate a chin without a very good reason. If he's by himself, I don't think that's a good reason. Castration does not affect a chin's life one way or the other. With or without testicles, he'll go on the same way.

My males are not humping monsters when I reach in the cage or take them out, so I can't really say for sure if he will or won't start to do that. I don't see 1000s of people posting on here about their chins humping them, so I'd guess it's not a huge amount that do. Humping isn't just about mating, it's also a way to show dominance. Castration isn't necessary going to stop it if that is the reason a chin does it.

Thank you so much for your reply. So relieve to hear that castration isn't necessary.

My girls like to nibble my rings. Every time I scratch them I have to say, "don't eat my rings."

My nails get a little "nibble" from time to time aswell, but more in a curious/grooming way.

My chins love to nibble on toe nails but not finger nails.. odd little things..

Since you have a single chinnie, you could get him a cuddle buddy if he takes too much interest in your hand/arm ;) so he can take his 'frustration' out on it

All 5 of my chins always try to chew off my finger nails when I'm petting them. They also try to chew off anything they can get their little mouths on. Including my belt, cloths, and my glasses /grin

What do i do if he grow up and start humping? Will he grow out of it?
Thanks

I cant think of any species where the male just 'grows out of it' lol. :kiss:

As they said above, you can try getting a cuddle buddy. A little playmate for him. Tho id suggest cleaning it now and then. He might like it, he might not. Some love them, mine hate them. So you never know.

As for him himself, if he is trying to get some hand action, you'll pick up on some of their tricks over time. My first chin, loves to get his stomach scratched. But now and then, during the middle of it, he will stretch himself up, trying to make you scratch a little bit lower... :hmm:

Look like my wife has managed to ask the question b4 i do. Thank you all for your replies. We feel much better knowing castration is not a must like for dos and cat. We probably won't.

Congrats on your new chin. Yep nail biting is perfectly normal, its written in the chin bible that they must chew our nails lol.

Back