New FN metal tray- Chin making a RACKET! HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alybaba11

I finally received my new metal tray for my FN today. Great right? I don't know, lol. Before, Douglas would chew chew chew on his plastic tray, so of course I feared he would ingest the plastic. Now, however, he is grabbing the metal tray and banging it up and down. It is VERY loud, and his cage is in my room. I have no idea what to do...a weight on the tray to keep it from banging? What are my options? Has anyone had this problem?

Does he have a lot of things to keep him busy, ie: wheel, toys. I would fill his cage up, lol. Then he might not have time to play with the tray.

I would put a heavy tile down and then he shouldn't be able to make too much noise. Little beasty! It could be the novelty of it too.

Good luck. I haven't had that problem with my guys.

He has lots of stuff, yes. I have not gotten him a wheel yet. He has a hammock, ledges, lava ledge, wooden house, tons of wood chews, and loofah chews. He has been banging on it for the past 2 hours, and he will not stop :( My ears!!!! He also gets 2-3 hours of free time in my room every night.

I don't have the metal pans myself, but I think I've seen others recommend putting something down under the tray, such as a layer of fleece. I'm not sure how much noise the pan itself makes, or if it's just the pan banging on the bottom of his cage. If it's the latter, something under there should help! :)

You could try putting some felt on the bottom. Or secure a few ledges against the pans top wall edges so he can't lift it.

I think he's mad he can't chew plastic, and letting you know!
Funny critters!

I keep my extra fleece liners under the tray to stop any noise, and also to have them close by when I am switching everything out on cleaning day.

I bought some cheap fleece and cut it to the size of the bottom of the metal bass pan including up on the sides of the pan. I then cut a few pieces of velcro to secure the fleece and then place the pan in the FN. Stays secure and fits well and now no noise :)).

Sandi...do you have any pictures of what you are describing? It sounds genius! I think it will help because Douglas also seems to bang the tray against the door, not just the bottom.

It's pretty simple, lay the pan on the fleece and cut around making sure you have a little extra for the sides of the pan. I use only a few small pieces of velcro at the corners and middle of the pan. Velcro the fleece to the outside of the pan and trim the excess that sticks out above the pan.

panfleece.jpg

panfleece2.jpg

panfleece3.jpg

I was lucky to find cheap fleece that closely matched the color of my dining room wall. :))

Hmmm, I must try that. So does the velcro have a sticky side that goes on the pan? I'm not exactly sure how it works.

I just cut some large cardboard pieces from a cardboard box and stuck them under the pans. I never hear a sound from them if there's that and bedding/fleece. It's cheap, and because it's under the pans it doesn't really get messy.

Oh, interesting idea. I don't have any extra fleece on hand....but I do have the large cardboard box that my pan was shipped in...;)

Hmmm....I just put about a yard of fleece over the pan on the inside and drape the excess over the sides and under....this does a great job of dampening sound because it wedges the trays in the cage. Takes some getting used to wrangling it but its totally quiet and I like it!

I use fleece under my pans for the hedgehogs. Without it, one of my pans will rattle while the hedgehog runs on her wheel. The fleece solution works great for deadening the rattle.

Sandi your idea is wonderful. I think I will do this to my pans. I rarely take the pans out, but when I do, getting the fleece to not bunch up can be a hassle. What a wonderful, yet simple, solution!

alybaba, When you go to buy velcro just look for a variety that has an adhesive side. They make both sticky and non-sticky types.

Yesterday I put cardboard, as well as fleece under the tray, and so far so good! He is still digging and chewing at the metal, but it isn't half as annoying as the banging, lol. I even slept last night! THANK YOU TO ALL! :)

Hi thank you for the cardboard idea too. I have not unpacked my cage or pans yet. I will save the cardboard for under the pans!

I use fleece under my pans for the hedgehogs. Without it, one of my pans will rattle while the hedgehog runs on her wheel. The fleece solution works great for deadening the rattle.

Sandi your idea is wonderful. I think I will do this to my pans. I rarely take the pans out, but when I do, getting the fleece to not bunch up can be a hassle. What a wonderful, yet simple, solution!

alybaba, When you go to buy velcro just look for a variety that has an adhesive side. They make both sticky and non-sticky types.

Aw thanks! Glad I could help. :D

Back