New chinchilla playhouse

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Last weekend I bought some new tools, and as a little test I made this chinchilla house.
I wanted something to put their hay and herbs in so they don't get tossed around and out the cage.
Also, my chins have the bad habbit to move their pee-bowl around on the second floor of my ferret nation cage, and sometimes it gets turned upside down in the hole that connects 1st and 2nd floor. Tired of sweeping that!

23t5fr8.jpg

The whole house, 60cm wide, 40 cm deep and 30cm high.
It's made out of 18mm thick woodpanels, and glued with safe white woodglue.
The "Chinny Mouse hole" on the left gives acces to hay stock, right hole is just big enough to get the pan in and out.

dr28g.jpg

A pic to show the hole at the top

b5mezp.jpg

The cutout

4j5k6p.jpg

Lemmy checking it out

anxztc.jpg

F*ck Disneyland!

tbh when i look at it on the pics it looks like crap :p
House was just glued and not pressed together yet at that point

looks amazing, I wanted to build one myself, got the wood as well but I don't have the right tools for cutting in holes, and windows yet.

Great idea and great job.

I know what you mean about the messes they can make. I have the Critter Nation and know that the mess at times is not contained to the cage but the floor as well.

I added a scatter guard to the outside of the cage that is a great help but love your idea of a hut for the hay and pee pan.

Here's a thought that could help keep the pee pan in place within the hut. If you cut an opening in the floor of the hut the size of the bottom of the pee pan and put the pee pan in the opening it will be difficult for it to be moved or flipped by your chin but easy for you to lift out to clean.

If you want to keep the bottom of the hut solid and the flipping is occuring in the hut then a square pan would be tougher for your chin to flip.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies

@landkr11: pan was getting moved before it was placed in the hut. Now that it is, they don't have the room to flip or move it too much, so no need to do that.
I like that idea however, will prob do that for the food bowl!

Back