New chinchilla nibbling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finallygotachilla

Had my 4 month old Chinchilla now for 48 hours and i'm slowly gaining her trust. She lets me stroke her and she puts her head on a side and closes her eyes as she's enjoying being stroked, and i know i have found her soft spots. Each time though at some point she nibbles my fingers which dosent really hurt but wondered is this just something they do and will she eventually stop nibbling me

Thanks

Yes, that is a really good sign! She loves you! My Tribble likes to groom me like that. I put my head in the cage, he gives me kisses and "grooms" my hair. Which is basically chewing on it a little.. LOL. Sometimes he gets so excited that my hair is around and starts squeaking. It's so cute.

Thanks people. She's actually been really good so far,
She's not too noisy on a night. I hear her have a short spell on her wheel but that's it I get an uninterrupted sleep.

Wow! you're very lucky! It took mine about a month before she let me pet her and she's still not completely comfortable with it!

Mine nibbles on me all the time, I've heard its a sign of affection.

I don't mind the nibbling I just don't like it when she takes a huge chomp on my finger -_-

I put my head in the cage

this part made me laugh. xD
reminded me of the few times i've done it so far. the first time i did it, our chin Jackie ran away from my big head. the second time, she tried pulling my head in- pulled my hair to the very back of the cage. lol and the third, or fourth, she used it as a stepping stone to jump out of the cage. hahaha

Yea I used to stick my head in the cage and shed sniff my face and put her hands on it.

However I have stopped doing this because I have a lip piercing where the top just pops off and my chin has figured this out and seems to think its fun.

I don't think it's fun searching around my carpet for a practically microscopic sparkle lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My two girls will groom my hand too. Also I like to give them a face to face greeting if one of them is sitting on my shoulder, sitting on a high shelf of their cage, or running around while I'm sitting on the floor. It's a chin greeting to touch noses! My baby girl will try to groom my ears which tickles immensely. XD

Sometime young ones can groom too vigorously, mine seemed to grow out of that, I will squeak a bit to let them know it hurts.

Back