New Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybut

We have recently invited a new chin into the house! Our first chin we got has a very large cage and it is very spacious. So we decided to put them in the same cage just so we didn't have to buy another. (The chins are both male.) So when we brought the newest chin, we let the two sniff each other. surprisingly, the younger and newer chin barked at the other one! So we bought just a little starter kit for the newest chin and have been gradually trying to get them to get used to each other. NOTE: If they are put together the younger one jumps on the other one and we have to pull them away. But back to my main topic and my question, is there a faster or better way to get them to interact, not jump on each other, or bark at each other?

-Fluffybut

Either way, they shouldn't be going together right away. As with many animals, bringing in a new member of the family means QUARANTINE. Your new chin should be in a separate cage/room for a time and not be allowed to interact with the other just in case he's carrying something that could pass to your existing chin. I don't know the exact recommended quarantine period for chins, but someone else will be able to tell you that. After that, you can worry about introducing them, keeping in mind that some chins just don't play well with others. Its always good to have a spare cage on hand if you have multiple small animals of any sort anyways, just in case an illness ever arises or the animals suddenly don't get along and they need to be separated.

Everything I've read generally agrees that 30 days is the standard chinchilla quarantine period, & I followed that advice when we got our second chinchilla without running into any issues along the way

Back