New and bigger cage for my Chins?h

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
So I have found a cage for sale. It is approximatley 6 and some feet tall and about 4 feet wide on all sides.

It is all wire. I will adjust the bottom so the tray will be on top of the wire flooring.

But the only thing I'm worried about is the noise of it. Is it going to incredibly noisy because it's bigger and they are jumping around? Or will it be quieter?

I have a wire cage now, but it is 6 feet tall and 1 and a half foot wide. It does make noise when they are jumping around, but not enough to bother me.

Next question is, how do I stop poop from landing outside of the cage? Do you guys have any tricks or anything that stops poop from falling all outside of the cage? I understand that poop WILL always be outside of the cage, but right now I have a big poop ring around the cage. . .Spend at least 1 hour a day vacuuming it up.

And the next question I need some creative ideas for the ultimate chinchilla set up. Anything you've noticed your chinchillas really love. :wacko:

So I have found a cage for sale. It is approximatley 6 and some feet tall and about 4 feet wide on all sides.

It is all wire. I will adjust the bottom so the tray will be on top of the wire flooring.

But the only thing I'm worried about is the noise of it. Is it going to incredibly noisy because it's bigger and they are jumping around? Or will it be quieter?

I have a wire cage now, but it is 6 feet tall and 1 and a half foot wide. It does make noise when they are jumping around, but not enough to bother me.

Next question is, how do I stop poop from landing outside of the cage? Do you guys have any tricks or anything that stops poop from falling all outside of the cage? I understand that poop WILL always be outside of the cage, but right now I have a big poop ring around the cage. . .Spend at least 1 hour a day vacuuming it up.

And the next question I need some creative ideas for the ultimate chinchilla set up. Anything you've noticed your chinchillas really love. :wacko:

well chins dont really make much noise, its whatever there landing on does. If its wood ledges you shouldnt hear noise, for stopping poop my cage from quality cage company comes with metal shelf guards. these keep the poop inside until they somehow kick it out of her cage to annoy me :impatient:

as for things they like its different for all chins, but id suggest a chin spin or one of those saucers as almost every chin adores them. Some people even have both, and chinchilla safe hammocks and tubes :p

jsut make sure that any wire shelves or what not are covered up with something safe and soft, or replaced. It always pains me to see animals walking or laying down on wire.

As for things they might like. Anything they can get their little mounths on! Chew toys, perches, wheels, hammoks, all kinds thing that some chins might like. Id say browes the Ferrent Nation Club thread here to see other ppls pics of their cages. Youll see some interesting ideas

Sounds like an awesome cage! Are the doors big enough to access everything easily? If it rattles while they are being crazy, you can always add corner shelves for stability, or even full lenghth shelves to hold it still.

The poop ring!! I have 3" metal trays for my cage and I still have poop rings in my room. You can get ledges made with a backing which might help. I've made fleece covers to go on the back of my cage to keep it away from THAT area, anyways.

Good luck :) :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm buying the cage on Saturday and hopefully the pine too! I'm hoping my chinchillas will be a lot happier now. I plan to install some really fun little things in there. Bridge, many jumping shelves, huts, chinchilla beds, tunnels, tents, hammocks. I love building things, so this is going to be a very fun project! AND, now if I could ask you guys one more question?

Chinspin or flying saucer? I have heard that flying saucers need to be replaced often?the
I think I'll get the chinspin, but I haven't fully made up my mind yet. I'm just worried that flying saucer will hurt the other chin when she's not running?

I'm going to take a look at the cages on this site, ferret nation and whatever else I can find for some good ideas. I'll have to look into those backings for the shelves

I have two metal flying saucers for my chins. And thye both work excelently. And the metal ones will last forever. And even if something should happen where it wont spin, you only need to replace the baring in the center ($2). The metal flying saucers allow a chin to reach full extension when their running!

Any type of plactic ones, imo are not only dangerous, but they will grind and wear down fast! When i had my first chin, he came with a plactic virtical circle wheel. Not only would he chew it alot, but plactic on plactic grinding turned it into a powder. Had to be replaced every month or sooner. Its rly not good.

i know i'm saving for a chin spin, i just like the look of it better than the flying saucer, even though both are considered good wheels.

can't wait to see this ginormous cage all decked out!

Back