New Aggression?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyslilDimwit

I have the SWEETEST Male Chin, about 7 yrs old now. I've never really had an issue with him before. Every now and again he would get a little temper, mostly just a bark here and there.

He is in a cage by himself. I have 2 females in a cage in the same room, as well as a pregnant female that is due in about a week who is in a separate baby proof cage.

All of a sudden tonight he became VERY aggressive towards the cage that the girls are in (They are about 2 ft apart) I moved the pregnant chin into another room, thinking maybe she is getting ready to deliver and he is picking up on the pheromones???

So after I remove her he becomes even MORE aggressive towards the other 2 girls (remember, they are not together, but cages are 2 ft apart) I figure I am going to put him into a smaller cage for the night in another room and when I very calmly go to get him... He bites me, multiple times, no blood drawn, mostly cause I used a dish cloth to get him after he made the first attempt to bite.

He's never done anything like this before.

Could the Pregnant one be ready to give birth and that is his reason fr this behavior? Are one of the other two in heat?

Has this ever happened to any of you before?

I am very worried because I ADORE my little guy and I am worried that he could stay this agitated.

I think it may be the females.....Check the nozzle and make sure his water bottle is working. Is he eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normaly? I don't think he should stay like that. Has anyone been teasing him?

I'd also say definitely the girls. That pregnant female is getting close and he is probably very frustrated. Males that can not get to a pregnant female sometimes take it out on and beat up other females or people/cage walls/whatever they can get to.

He will be able to smell them anywhere in the house and on you, so it's probably going to keep happening until she gives birth and a week or so after.

Ok, he is differently eating/drinking/pooping. And he has never acted like this before. last time I only had 1 female though. When I separated them before she gave birth he would throw poop at me whenever I walked by him, but never attacked.
I was wondering if, the hormones of the pregnant female made the other 2 go into heat and that is why he's such a turd?

No one teases him either. It is just me and my Husband here and Hubby mostly ignores them.

The 2 females may be in estrus but the pregnant girl should not have influenced it. Since your boy is a breeder he will be more responsive to the girl's cycles and the female who is getting ready to deliver her babies. If he is biting you can wear leather gloves to protect yourself. Wearing gloves also lets him know biting will not get the reaction from you he desires. If he bites do not move away. Just continue what you were doing so he doesn't think biting will keep you away.

A day or two after the girl who is pregnant delivers her babies the male should calm down.

Ok. I can get a pair of leather gloves tomorrow from work. I just weighed my pregnant female, she was really squirmy but it looked like she was only about 850g. She isn't due until July 31, so looks like I'm stuck with Mr Attitude for a while longer. For joy.

Back