Nervous about surgery...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCHIBIkitten

So, I'm having breast reduction surgery on June 1st, and I'm pretty nervous about it. I've read through all of the literature, but I'd really like to hear some personal accounts, if anyone's had anything similar done.

I've never had an IV/been put under general anesthetic, so I'm nervous about that as well. : /

Needing some comforting words!

I am with you here hun! I have to get a mass removed from my breast, and I am very nervous as well. I wish you the best of luck, and don't worry about the anesthetic, that is the best part!

I was terrified about getting my gallbladder out because of the anesthesia. If they could have just done it with me awake - we'd have been good. I put it off for almost 2 years because I was so scared. Turns out - pffft - piece of cake. The anesthesia, the surgery, all of it. I worried needlessly.

I know I can tell you that until I am blue in the face (like everybody told me!) but honestly, the anesthesia was just nothing. I am a needle phobic as well. As in, beat people up who bring them near me. :) The person who started the IV was so good, I literally didn't even feel it. Then they walked me into the OR, totally terrified. I laid down on the table, they covered me with a nice warm blanket, and by the time I turned my head to see what they were doing, I was out.

I have not had a breast reduction (maybe someday when I hit the lotto) but I do have several friends who have had it done and they all said that afterwards the pain was much less than they expected and that they were so glad that they had done it. You can't raise your arms for a certain period of time or you will tear your sutures. You also can't lift, but that's typical of any abdominal, breast, etc. surgery. One friend worked at Curves and went right back to work the next day. She was sore, but not unbearably so.

Make sure your doctor is well aware of your fears. My doc was outstanding. He made sure the nursing staff knew, the OR staff, and they were all incredibly kind. I was afraid they would be condescending because I was a 45-year-old woman terrified of an itty bitty surgery, but they were just wonderful. The one nurse held my hand while the other put the IV in and when I got the OR, one nurse held my hand while the other covered me with a blanket and a third knocked me out.

I have a friend who had breast reduction and it turned ou well (she only got a minor infection in the scar). She was pretty relieve of the weight off. Don't wory too much about the anestetic, my grand-mother who was told would never survive one (becaus of her heart) did pretty well. Best of luck!

I can't give you any real good advice as I've never been through surgery. All I can say is that the thinking about it beforehand is usually worse than the event itself. It will be quite a relief when this is all behind you. I think it is good to go in prepared, but keep going on with your life at present so you won't totally focus on the upcoming surgery and make yourself more nervous than you need to be.

I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well without a stitch. Take a big breath in and then let it out slowly and you'll do fine! :)

I had breast reduction surgery last August, and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'll be glad to chat with you about it via PM. :)

I, too, have only pleasant news to relate. I had 2 surgeries within 6 months in 2001. (Elbow tendon reattachment and hysterectormy).

In both cases, I was apprehensive, especially of the anesthesia before (I'm needle phobic as well, but maybe not as bad as you -- I just hyperventilate and get anxious) and the pain afterwards.

As Chinniechantel said, the anesthesia IS the best part!!! They are very concerned about you being relaxed and comfortable. They know how scary it is, and I had a lovely young nurse that held my hand and talked to me while the IV was being placed and the pre-op sedative was administered. Really, in about 15 seconds, you won't have a care in the world. Just think about something pleasant -- like chinnie kisses or fuzzy kits!!! :thumbsup:

Today, there is no need to worry about the pain. They have passed a Patients' Bill of Rights that requires them to ask you frequently to rate what your pain level is on a scale of 1-10, and then they are required to give the pain meds necessary to eliminate that pain.

I was REALLY worried about the hysterectomy, but honestly, I never rated my pain level above a 7, and that was only for a very short time. I never required more than Darvocet, and I have a very low tolerance for pain. I learned early on (with the elbow surgery) that Vicodin made me too dizzy and nauseated.

Know that it's a whole new world in terms of medicine, and there are all sorts of new advances in anesthsia and pain relief that were previously not available. Have your surgery and take care of yourself.

I'm also going to share the BEST advice I've ever received --"You only have one chance to heal properly, so take care of yourself and follow your doctor's orders/instructions"!!! Don't push yourself and try to do too much, too soon. It's not a race, you don't have to prove to anyone how fast you can recover. Take your time and LET PEOPLE HELP YOU!!! That is the hardest thing for most of us women to do, but sometimes, it's OK to put yourself first!!!

Good luck!!!

I've had two surgeries to restore my hearing, and honestly the anesthetic was no problem at all. First thing I did when I woke up was to reach for the cinnamon buns and chocolate milkshake that my partner was waving in front of my face!!
The fasting beforehand was easily the worst part of it all!

I'm sure everything will go fine for you, best wishes for June 1st xxxx

I've had two surgeries, one with general, and one with local anesthetic. The general was a pretty weird wakeup, which included some out of body experience stuff. I remember counting backwards from 10, per the doctor, I hit 7 and was gone.

The local was just fine. I passed out, woke up about 1/2 way through, talked to the doctor, passed out, and woke up essentially drunk. Not too awful. However they loaded me up. I was about 135lbs at the time, and they had tried to get me to sleep the day before on local (didn't work) with what a 200lb person would need, so I got a little extra that time. Both surgeries were for an abscess in my liver.

You will do fine :)

I had surgery twice where I had to be put under. I only freaked b/c of the needle, sadly I am classified as needle phobic (and they put it in all my charts!!). I felt a little sick from the anesthesia, but as soon as that wore off, I was good to go. The pain meds. were also a little much in both cases, but they sure as heck did the trick since I'm so sensitive. lol

Thank you so much for the feedback, guys. I agree, I think the anticipation and worrying is much worse than the actual surgery will be, but it still makes me feel queasy thinking about it.

I'm glad to hear that the whole needle/anesthetic thing isn't too bad. I tend to freak out when getting injections, but I think if I talk to my doctor and nurses, it'll be a lot easier.

My mom's promised to stay at my apartment with me for a few days to make sure that I'm comfortable and taken care of. I probably won't need much in the way of bedrest, but it'll definitely be nice to have her there for me.

Aw good luck Dori, I know how scary it can be. I've never had anything that major, but I've had 2 surgeries, one to remove a benign tumor on my finger and then another for my wisdom teeth. I was put under for the wisdom teeth and it is a little scary never having had that done before, but really it isn't bad.
It was weird waking up though because it really feels like you just fell asleep. And I was so scared of waking up during the surgery that when I woke up I said "I'm waking up!" and the doctor had to reassure me that the surgery was over with. I was just so afraid of those horror stories of people waking up but not being able to tell the doctor that they're awake.
But honestly it isn't bad.
I'm sure if you talk with the doctors/nurses they'll understand your fears and make it easier on you.

I've been under twice. The first time to have the blood vessels in my nose lasered shut (I used to have terrible nose bleeds) and the second time for reconstructive surgery after I broke my arm in three places.

The nose surgery they had to put a breathing tube done my throat so my throat was a little sore after I woke up, but other than that, I don't remember a thing.

My arm, on the other hand, was a giant trip! I hallucinated like crazy as I was coming out of it. Floating around the OR and then I was in the ocean!! But no pain or serious problems from the anesthesia both times...just...weird dreams lol

Thank you so much for the feedback, guys. I agree, I think the anticipation and worrying is much worse than the actual surgery will be, but it still makes me feel queasy thinking about it.

I'm glad to hear that the whole needle/anesthetic thing isn't too bad. I tend to freak out when getting injections, but I think if I talk to my doctor and nurses, it'll be a lot easier.

My mom's promised to stay at my apartment with me for a few days to make sure that I'm comfortable and taken care of. I probably won't need much in the way of bedrest, but it'll definitely be nice to have her there for me.

that's a good thing your mom will be there for you, because when my ex got put under anasteasia, I had to sing something saying I won't leave him alone for 24h after the surgery (because of some side effect of the anestesia)

Look at the bright side, in my case anyway they couldn't operate on the wrong place(they can take fat out of any body part). And what's up with this??? They want you to remove all metal jewlery, then they stick a metal needle in your arm and lay you on a metal table! :wacko:
Do you know how to tell if your surgeon hates you? If you have a heart attack in the OR and he calls 911 :hilarious:
Uh, I hope I helped you smile and you're not doing this :cry3:

I had a double surgery the day before Thanksgiving last year and it was a breeze. I was wheeled into the OR at 9:30 and was home by 2:30 the same day. I was a little nauseated from the anesthesia in the afternoon, but that wore off quickly. Make sure you do the breathing exercises (they usually give you a gizmo to breathe into) to get the gunk out of your lungs. Since I didn't stay overnight they didn't give me one and I was coughing the next day. So I borrowed my mum's asthma breathing monitor thing and used it for a couple of days and my lungs and cough cleared right up.

Good luck, Dori! I've never had surgery myself (been pretty lucky, I suppose), but from what I've heard from other people.. breast reduction is a breeze. It's really scary going in, and slightly unnerving when you wake up and look at yourself... but it's literally a weight off one's shoulders (and back, I suppose. Heh) when it's all said and done.

Look on the bright side - for a few days, you might get a break from cage cleaning. You can't really lift your arms, and you can't do much that might affect that area... so stretching into a cage might not be a smart idea. It's great that your mom will be staying with you for a little bit ... think you can convince her that she should clean the cages too? Hehe.

A good tip I learned from some friends who have had surgery - if at all possible, make sure someone you know is beside you when you wake up. If not in person, ask to have pictures of all the things that you love on the table beside you. It seems that people are very disoriented after surgery, and having familiar items nearby can really help with the fright and uncertainty.

Good luck!!

I might just be weird, but I've got a lot of blood tests done when I was younger and it doesn't bother me one bit. I actually think that it's cool seeing the needle go into my arm or wherever they are sticking it. I guess it's just morbid curiosity.

Thousands of similar operations are done every day and the doctors don't even break a sweat. No worries hun!!

why in gods name would you have reduction surgery?! I'm sorry I'm just joking, I have no boobs, I'm just jealous...Anyway in all seriousness, just listen to what the doctors tell you about not eating or drinking after midnight and you don't have to worry about the anesthesia making you queasy Nurses are great with IV's you will not even feel it it helps me if I don't look, out of sight out of mind..you will always get nervous before a surgery but you will be just fine!! Best of luck! I hope everything goes okay!!

Oh Dori! You'll be fine, love. I'm no good at advice giving here because I've never had major surgery.. so I can understand your fears. But I do wish you the best, and please, let me know if you need anything okay? Take care doll.

Back