Need to leave light on/Cage addition

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much everyone for your replies.
We just got these babies about 1 1/2 days ago. Still so new to us. The youngest was born May 16 and the other is 3 weeks older.
Maybe eventually we'll introduce them to the dog and cats, but right now we want them to get comfortable with their cage and with us. In the long run we thought we'd have a cage in the kitchen area too (the most frequented area of our house) and when we're home in the evenings they could be upstairs with us.
We're keeping them in the utility room since it's very cool in there. When the kids are in the basement, they wheel the cage out and spend time with them in the family room there. They shut the door so the dog and cats can't get in there for that period.
The pooping is kinda gooning me out. We changed their bedding yesterday to what the breeder had (was using paper pellets - yesterday news - and changed to pine shavings) and honestly within 6 hours there were 30 - 40 poops in there. I had no idea!
I'm still confused about the lights though? So - do you think it's OK that when we're in there to have the light and when we aren't turn it off? So - overnight all night it would be off, when they are mostly awake? Whenever we are in there they get up.
Thanks so much for all your help - still so nervous with them.

You'll get used to the poop thing, don't be surprise if you find some pellets 5 feet from their cage (they propel :laughitup:)
Just make sure you have a vacuum with the a hose and bagless (it'll save you money and time) for fast and easy clean up.
As for the lights, chins are nocturnal animals. They are most active at night! There is no need to leave the lights on since they can see in the dark just fine. As for turning the lights on and off when you enter or leave the room, that's perfectly fine. Basement may be the coolest place in your home but keep an eye out on the humidity in there.
Congrads on your new chinnies

Back