Need Advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
I had someone contact me about a chinchilla they recently aquired from someone else. They have a violet male chin they are looking to place - and while I know I can't save the world - or the chins of the world...I am a softy for an animal in need.

Here's part of the email I received "the violet he was beat up by the others and the lady didnt want him beacuse she didnt want to take him to the vet"

I emailed back to find out as much info as I could about this chin. I asked "Do you know how old he is or anything about him? Has he been to a vet? How serious are his injuries? "

To which I received the following response "age i think she said 2yrs old, male,very sweet, he has some bite marks on his back but it healed his eyes were swollen but one reopened he is eating fine and drinking moving around good"

What would you do if you were presented with this situation? I know IF we take this little guy in the first thing I'll need to do is get him to a vet....

Would you take him or leave him???

If you have the time & the money, take him in and make him better. If not, maybe someone on here from your area can take him in and rehabilitate him.

I'd take him in a heart beat!! But that's why I opened a rescue. ;)
If you can afford the vet then you might as well take him, rehabilitate him and either keep him or try to find someone responsible to adopt him.

I agree, if you can afford a chinchilla that could potentially need a bunch of medical care (what if one of the back wounds abscesses or there is something you are not told about...) then go for it. It sounds like the chinchilla needs some serious loving. Good luck with your decision, keep us posted!

I would, but I'm beginning to think I'm brain dead. Even if I didn't have the money for the vet, I'd just scrape here, scrimp there, and figure it out.

If you truly can't afford the potential expense, find a rescue in your area. I know Kelly (chinchewy1) is having a bunch of stuff heaped on her right now, but you could contact her and see if she knows of someone in the area that can help out if you can't.

I see you are in Maryland. Where is the chin located? I might be able to take him if you can't. I'm pretty full right now, but we have babies leaving in a couple of weeks, so I will have more cage space then.

I agree, I would take him if you have the time and money. Good for you!

I was just emailed some photos of him - and he looks just terrible! I am so worried that I am taking on more than I know how to deal with. The man tells me the chins eyes have been swollen shut for over 2 weeks now.

V2.jpg

V3.jpg

Oh my GOSH! His little face looks awful! That absolutely breaks my heart!! I'm in Nevada...and new to chins, but I hope you or someone loving can take him!

That is just horrible, I am just sick over this. I would take him, he sure has a better chance with you. He really needs some antibiotics for those eyes, among other things. Poor guy, I really hope someone takes him soon.

oh no!!! those pictures are terrible...he needs to get out of there...do u know of any rescues in your area??? this little guy needs medical attention and some TLC!!! i completely agree with what tunes said (maybe i am braindead too lol)

That is heart wrenching! He needs a vet, then it can be determined the best course of action. After seeing him I think I would take him even if it meant eating Ramen for a month...so sad!

oh poor guy!!! he looks so sad!!! i really really hope he can go to a loving family ='(

Maybe we can get a railroad going if someone semi nearby is willing to take him?

I am meeting the guy that has him *(and several other chins - 2 of whom are pregnant - and he bragged of his ebony being suitable for breedings - since that's who fathered the one's baby(ies?)...)Grrr I am so mad with this guy. I am getting this little guy - who doesn't even have a name - tomorrow late afternoon - I've already made an appt at the vet - and will stop with him there on my way home.....I pray I am not biting off more than I can chew....I have NO experience with ill chins (other than Gus a few weeks back)....prayers for the chin (who needs a name) and me and hubby that we can do right for him...

i wish you all the best!!! ask the vet as many questions as possible...and post as many questions as you have on here...i know everyone here will be willing to help as much as possible...keep up updated...i think you are doing the right thing...

i wish you all the best!!! ask the vet as many questions as possible...and post as many questions as you have on here...i know everyone here will be willing to help as much as possible...keep up updated...i think you are doing the right thing...

I totally agree. We are here to help, and maybe you can find a chinchilla rescue in your area just in case you find yourself unable to care for him. Also look into carecredit.com in case the vet bills get high. A chin savvy vet is the most important thing, that and lots of love.

I'm so glad you're getting him. If you need anything for his care, let me know. I just got a bunch of medicines from the vet that I don't even need anymore, so maybe that will help save *some* costs if it's needed. & like stated if you have any questions or need opinions in his care/rehabilitation..you know where to ask..

Having just lost my violet boy, I feel drawn to this chin..please keep us updated.

I'm so glad you're getting him. If you need anything for his care, let me know. I just got a bunch of medicines from the vet that I don't even need anymore, so maybe that will help save *some* costs if it's needed. & like stated if you have any questions or need opinions in his care/rehabilitation..you know where to ask..

Having just lost my violet boy, I feel drawn to this chin..please keep us updated.

I was thinking the same thing Stacie. Please let us know how he is doing, and if you need anything. Best of luck!

Back