Need Advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the lack of updates, this is what's happened:

I went to a second vet for a consultation. They were very suspicious of malo, and asked that I forward the xrays I had done at the other vet. Those xrays turned out to be inconclusive, so I sent her in this morning for another set and possible molar burring if there was anything obvious.

About an hour after I sent her in, I got a call saying that the xrays were completely clear and there were absolutely no dental issues. Because Chibi's eye has become quite swollen, scarred, and cloudy, they suggested immediate enucleation and a biopsy of the area behind the eye. I gave them the ok, as both vets had already told me that she had little to no vision in that eye anyway.

I got a call about 10 minutes ago letting me know that the mass behind the eye is not a tumor, and looks to be a retrobulbar abscess caused by either deep tissue injury or some sort of foreign object other than molars. They're sending a culture of the pus found into the lab to get a more definitive med plan going for her.

I'll be picking my poor little Frankenchin up this evening after her meds wear off. Apparently she bit a vet tech... good girl. :p

So antibiotics and playing the waiting game for results. No tumor yayyy. Hopefully it will go away and never come back since its not tooth issues. So glad you got the second opinion. Also so glad you didn't make any big decisions until you did.

Edit: this is a perfect example of why we can't always assume its tooth issues and freak out liike I do : P

Last edited:
Back