Need Advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCHIBIkitten

I took my 5 1/2 year old female to the vet on Tuesday after she displayed some worrying symptoms (matting around eye, pulling at whiskers constantly).

I was initially worried about malo, but the vet was able to do an xray, and while her teeth are fine, he found a mass behind her eye that is most likely a tumor (with a slight chance that it's an abcess).

He also pointed out the protuberance of the eye, which I hadn't noticed. Two days after the vet visit (and with the fur around the eye matted more), I can definitely see that the eye is sitting higher and more outward than the other one.

The vet decided to initially treat it as an abcess, so she's currently on Prednisone and ChlorPalm, as well as gel artificial tears to lubricate her eye as the lid can't close all of the way.

She's ok right now, eating, drinking, playing, and pooping, but I'm not sure what to do. The vet said that he could operate, remove the eye, and see what's behind it, but I'm not sure if it's worth putting her through all of the stress.

The other option (and most probable one) is having her PTS, which kills me to even think about. She doesn't seem to be in any pain right now (she's her sassy self), but one thing that I've heard is that it's better to put them to sleep a moment too early than a moment too late.

I've pretty much been crying for the last couple of days. She's my best friend and I want as much time as I can have with her, but I don't want to put her through any pain.

Advice/experience? Are there any other possible health issues that this could be?

I'm sorry to read this, it's a very tough situation.

FHC has/had a chin who was missing an eye, and she acts like nothing is wrong.

I'm sure they'll be quite the recovery process for her but it's always an option above PTS. The surgery will most likely cost a pretty penny as well.

Sorry, I should clarify. The gist of what I got from my vet was that if he operated and found a tumor, there's not much that could be done at that point.

Money isn't an issue, I'm willing to pay as much as I can if it means helping her.

Maybe try thinking about getting a second opinion? The only thing I can think of to do to narrow down the diagnoses reasonably is to see if the abscess treatment makes a difference or if the mass grows. If she isn't in pain and is healthy, then I don't think you should seriously consider euthanasia right now.

Get another opinion, this vet is treating this condition with a drug that is a no no for chinchillas, you don't use a steriod. The chin should have further tests but to be honest if the "whatever it is" is that big IMO and its a abscess its going to be impossible to treat, and the original reason for it will not be treated-most likely overgrown roots. I do not put any stock in the fact that the vet said the roots were fine, since the vet prescribed a known drug that is not used on chinchillas. If its a abscess the root cause needs to be removed-impossible, if its a mass then there is nothing you can do. You can prolong life with pain meds and watch the situation closely but I would not do anything aggressive. I hate to say euthanasia will eventually be the only option, but error on the side of sooner than later.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn, I was hoping you'd have some input.

Can you explain more on why steroids aren't used for chinchillas? I've been very lucky with my guys and haven't had this come up before.

Thank you in advance.

Steroids can cause massive gastric ulcers, diabetes, liver disease, immunosupression, its common knowledge of vets who treat chinchillas-Angie our forum Vet will not use them, my vets have told me so many times when there are issues that have came up that they would work well in another species in the same situation, but not chins and frankly the issue does not come up here often because it IS common knowlege in the vet community.

Being devils advocate for a second-since what this chin has is essentially life ending why not try it, one might say, in the past I would have been on board with that but for me now, is it really worth it to put the chin through pain and suffering when the outcome is so poor, the chin will suffer just to prolong pretty much the inevitable?

Last edited:
If it is potentially a benign tumor maybe it isnt life ending?

Cant it be resolved if its an abcess? Just thinking.

I know a lot of people who do rescues have said chins with one eye or blind chins can do wonderfully with soem adjustments to the cage.

If the eye is being pushed out of the socket, whatever is doing it is large. If its a tumor it could be cancer, it could be benign but its growing, if its a abscess, that is virtually impossible to treat, to remove the eye, clean and debride , antibiotic beads but whatever caused the abscess meaning most likely the tooth roots won't be solved. Its a lose lose situation. The chin for now according to the OP is doing ok, pain meds can be given for now if the OP decides they want more time, but IMO this will not last long term.

I've seen people put their animals through **** to have more time with them, and I don't want to be one of those. At the same time, I would hate to put her down without 100% identifying what it is that's wrong with her.

I'm currently phoning around for an experienced vet who can perhaps shed some light on the situation, but I'm pretty much resigned to the final outcome.

Cue another day of wanting to cry at work. :(

A second opinion is always a good idea when you are talking no firm diagnosis, a MRI would be best but can be very expensive, see what a second vet says, that way if the diagnosis is the same you can take comfort you did all you could to get a answer.

Thanks, Dawn. I was able to get an appointment early next week with a (hopefully) very experienced exotic vet that one of my AHT friends was able to refer me to. I also have scheduled a call with my existing vet tonight to talk about the current treatment.

Again, I realize that this probably isn't changing anything, but I want to do everything I can before making any final calls.

Ugh, I am so sorry Dori. This is the exact same way I would feel if it were my Chibi going through this. :( I hope you can get some answers.

Thanks ladies, I appreciate it. Alli, I thought of your Chibi right away when I first noticed that my Chibi was looking off.

Right now Chibi is popcorning around and being a general goober, so I'm glad that she's feeling ok. Right now the big waiting game is making it through the weekend to the appointment.

Yeah I agree once you gather all the information you can from the vet (and the second opinion vet) you will know how to proceed. I hope everything works out in a way that brings you both peace. your in my thoughts

One thing that was mentioned online that I think might be worth considering is a retrobulbar abscess from hay or food puncturing the roof of the mouth. I wonder how common this is in chinchillas, as I've heard that it can happen to rabbits.

Retrobulbar abscesses in chinchillas are most frequenty caused by a periapical abscess due to elongation, back to taking care of the original cause of the abscess which in chins is almost impossible.

Thanks, Dawn. That's what I figured.

So, an update. I spoke to my vet, and he said that yes, he did prescribe the steroids as a last ditch effort. Still not sure what to make of that.

Chib has an appointment on Wed with the second opinion vet, so we'll see how that goes.

Behavior-wise, she's doing really well, she's playing and zooming around, and getting very angry at me when I give her meds. She has been eating a lot of Critical Care, although I made the mistake of offering her a dry spoonful at first, which she promptly tried to dustbathe in. >.<

Just taking it day by day.

Back