Need a simple answer Timothy vs Orchard Grass

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
Can someone please break this down for me in basics? What's the difference and how does it affect chins in Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass? I previously fed my boys Orchard Grass, mainly due to allergies. When feeding Timothy Hay, I use a mask and gloves.

What are the Pros and Cons of each and why or why not should you feed one over the other?

Thanks for your help guys!

Jill........it is funny you ask this because I went to the feed store yesterday and the guy told me that they get this compressed orchard grass (they think from nevada or somewhere close) and that it is real soft and green.
SO I was going to post today if this was something we can give our chins in addition to timothy.
my problem is that i am allergic to orchard grass and not timothy! when my allergist tested me and said i was allergic to a few grasses i told him that i needed specifically the grass. when he said why I had to tell him about my chinchillas. he just laughed!

They're both grass hays, so nutritionally I believe they're about the same.

Orchard grass in my experience tends to be softer and not as stemmy. So it may not work the teeth quite as much as timothy.

You could always try a bit of oat hay as a supplement a couple times a week too if you're worried about it not being coarse enough.

I don't think it matters all that much really. My chins like Timothy...we have to go with that unless I decide to be mean and pull out the Burmuda hay occasionally. :D

Grass hay is just for giving the chins something to chew on and for its fiber. I know that a lot of people like Orchard grass, a lot of people like Timothy. It's hard to say which is better. My chins prefer the timothy, but that's just what they are used to having. :)

I use both here. Like everyone else has said the main difference is texture. I use it more as a treat to change things up a bit, my guys really like it :)

I use timmy hay as a staple and will add other grasses in the mix as well. I like how coarse the timmy is and do think it probably has advantages b/c of its coarseness which keeps the teeth ground down. The orchard grass is a lot softer so I just mix it in for variety. I do want to pick up some oat hay soon to try that and I've tried botanical grass as well which they seemed to like but I won't buy the brome anymore b/c I suspect that might have caused a case of bloat a while back but I don't really know for sure, just don't feel like taking that chance again b/c it was a real pain to deal with.

I called a local feed store and they have timothy hay mixed with orchard grass for $8/bale. I am wondering if this is a good deal - seems to me it would be when compared to petstore prices. I'm just concerned about the mix. Should I go for it?

$8 a bale for the mix sounds like a great price to me. I pay that for a mini bale of timmy hay and more for the other grasses up here, which lasts the seven guys maybe a week. I have gotten two nice big bags of orchard grass from a feed store in Victoria for about $3 a bag... nice score.

Honestly I do not usually worry about the type of hay. If it is good quality hay I feed it. I watch more closely with Alfalfa hay as Hay too rich causes issues with Horses and My horses hay is what I feed the chinchillas (similar digestive tracts) Lately is has been an orchard grass type hay. With 70 chinchillas I do not buy bags of hay I use bales of hay LOL

These bags are garbage size bags though and for $3 it was a steal! I'd love to buy a whole bale of hay but where on earth would I keep it? Maybe I could put it in the family room and use it as extra seating, lol.

I have on that likes Timmy hay and one that likes orchard hay, so I feed both and make sure that the one who gets orchard also has plenty of other things to chew on. as well.

Let me know if you like the hay you get, and where you got it - or even if you'd like to split a bale - Oxbow is just getting way too expensive!

These bags are garbage size bags though and for $3 it was a steal! I'd love to buy a whole bale of hay but where on earth would I keep it? Maybe I could put it in the family room and use it as extra seating, lol.

Hey extra seating now that is a good idea.
I've always wondered. . . .those of us that have few chins and buy the bags of timothy could probably buy a bale and even with the waste would still be cheaper :hmm:

i like that one take out couch chairs put bale of hay everywhere lol:pillowfight:

I like to give mine a mix of orchard grass and alfalfa hay, they don't seem to like the timmy hay as much :/ I give them oat hay sometimes as treat but for some reason it's not as easy to find up here.

I buy by the bale. I put the bale of hay in my cellar (up off the floor). I use big buckets to get the hay and bring it upstairs to use. When I run out of hay, I go to the cellar and get more. I pay $9 a bale. I couldn't afford to give my chins hay by the bag full. I use whatever the feed stores have on hand (either timothy or orchard or a mixture)

Back