Necrotic tumor.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
I just had to mention this because it is so weird and a little gross.

I took in a rescue from a couple, who I believe live in Phoenix but I don't know for sure. They made me meet them at a gas station to pick up the chin despite me coming up to Phoenix in about a week from then. It was pretty much them jumping out of the car to hand me the carrier and they were gone.

When I got home I put her in her cage and noticed a lump on her side. She was eating and doing pretty well so I didn't mess with it too much because I wanted her to relax a bit. Well, it wasn't just a lump it was infected and appeared to be swelling so I made an appointment with the vet.

I called the people and the woman admitted it was like that for a year. Apparently it got really big and went back down and they thought it was fine. She told me that it was getting larger recently. So I have to assume that they were ridding themselves of the chin not because they had to move but because they didn't want to go to the vet?

Today was the first day I could get her in because he was fully booked for days and she was doing alright. She had what appeared to be a mammary tumor that actually is now necrotic and rotting on the inside. There is a lot of puss and it smells very bad.

I left her at the vet overnight and she will have the giant mass removed tomorrow morning. She should be alright, but it is good that we are getting this taken care of right away. It should have been taken care of months ago, maybe a year ago. After all, strange bumps and lumps should be looked at right away to be certain that they won't blow up into a giant mess.

Aw. Hopefully the surgery will make the chin more comfortable, it's a benign tumor and her previous owners won't take responsibility for other living things until they can take proper care of them.

How terrible! That poor chin is lucky to have came into your care!! I wish her a speedy recovery!

From what I understand the tumor was definitely benign or this little girl would have died a long time ago. The tumor itself actually died because it didn't have blood flow (or something like that, forgive my ignorance since I am trying to remember what the vet said!)

She'll be alright. He's going to give her a bit of a tummy tuck and she will feel fabulous. :) I wish that I had gotten before pictures of this so I could show you what it looks like. It's not pretty! I'll get some after pictures tomorrow. This is going to be a happy chin, not having to pull a lemon around her little belly is going to be a great relief for her. Although, she's going to have to be on antibiotics. Send her happy thoughts tomorrow!

She's actually doing great. I am attaching the picture of her sutures. It looks really scary, but she's happy because she can move around.

The mass was over 100 grams, probably closer to 120 grams maybe more because some fluid was squeezed out prior to the removal - the vet said something like 20 ccs of puss and fluid.

So, a week on Baytril and the sutures come out in two weeks. I'm hoping that her skin heals up alright...there was a lot of skin removed in the process of getting that mass taken off.

I put her back in her cage and she went right for the hay...so, maybe I won't have to handfeed her. She needs to gain some weight, so just looks so skinny.

The moral to the story is take in your chinnies when they have strange lumps and don't let it go for months or a year.

Attachments

• P1040166.JPG
    P1040166.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
Glad it could be removed. It may come back as that is the risk with those type of tumours. My one chin that had a mammary gland tumour had a biopsy and it was a carcinoma. It wasn't something that was going to have a happy outcome and I did end up having her pts. There is a thread on here somewhere with pics too.

Hoping she will heal it up fast! Poor thing having had that for a year is just nuts!

That is unbelievable that they let it go for a year!!! People make me so mad! I am glad she is in your care! 120 grams!! My god!! I hope she has a quick recovery!

Cool! Terrible for the chin, but I find these things fascinating. Are the biopsy-ing it just in case?
Did they do x-rays to make sure it hasn't metastasized to her lungs or anywhere else?
My rabbits mammary tumor was benign - but just cause the chin isn't dead isn't a 100% guarantee it isn't malignant.

Hope she heals up beautifully for you!

Cool! Terrible for the chin, but I find these things fascinating. Are the biopsy-ing it just in case?
Did they do x-rays to make sure it hasn't metastasized to her lungs or anywhere else?
My rabbits mammary tumor was benign - but just cause the chin isn't dead isn't a 100% guarantee it isn't malignant.

Hope she heals up beautifully for you!

I'll ask if he took any xrays or if he is sending in tissue for testing. I wasn't charged for these things so I don't know for sure. Maybe it was just because it was like that for so long that he didn't feel it was necessary? I'll make sure to ask. He has to dumb things down for me sometimes so often I only get the little highlights about what's going on! He seemed pretty positive about her today.

Just a little update. She's eating hay and is happy about things now. I have to give her the meds soon and I hope that they don't make her lose her appetite.

Aww, poor little girl. Yet another story of an uncaring owner not willing to do the right thing and take the chinny in to the vet. :banghead:
The good part is they took the time to get her in your hands so she can live a happy fuzzy life. :heart2:

Aww im glad she recovering so well, poor thing some people make me mad !! Atleast now she has someone to take good care of her :)

Kristy is doing great. Her incision is almost completely healed. I'm attaching a picture at day 10 after her surgery with her sutures and another picture with the sutures out that I took tonight (day 16 after surgery.) Her fur is starting to grow back and I REALLY hope that it grows back completely without any bald patches, but we will see. :) You can see where he attached the belly skin in the incision. If the fur does grow back there, she is going to have white fur growing in a strange pattern.

Attachments

• P1040169.jpg
    P1040169.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1040171.JPG
    P1040171.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 56
She looks good! I'm glad she's healing up for you. To be honest, I kind of secretly hope her fur grows back weird just so I can see what it looks like...heh.

Back