My other family members

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

I felt bad for posting my rabbits in my chin thread..so here is my animals!

I will be working all March for "Easter and Rabbits don't mix" sending out pamplets and trying to create awarness for rabbit breeding and care.

Rabbits are serious animals and I hope I can book a lecture at my University.

I also volunteer weekly at the SPCA and AAWL over here in Arizona (Every Mon, Wends, and Fri) along with working with Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue.

Well, my babies:

Chewbacca, lionhead female, a rescue from a pet store. Chewy is not a typical dwarf (who tend to be independent). She loves to give bunny kisses and play fetch.

0422.jpg

bunny020-1.jpg

Sheriff, English Lop male, a show bunny who I believe is a dog in disguse. Chases his tail, plays with toys, sleeps at the edge of the bed, and loves to sit next to me and be pet. Great rabbit.

newphotos1019.jpg

sherrif033.jpg

Adrian and Stella, both rescued parakeets
ham001.jpg

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions!

Fat Hammie (Don't ask lol) a Syrian from a petstore adoption..
ham034.jpg

Super Snow female Leopard gecko, and Blizzard female leopard gecko
newphotos014.jpg

Mack Snow Enigma Male Leopard gecko
newphotos029.jpg

I have also decided to include a rabbit care sheet for rabbit owners on chin-n-hedgies!
Rabbit Care Sheet- Basic Overview
Rabbits are wonderful pets. Here is a basic overview of care:

Housing: Rabbits come in many different sizes, and each size needs to be accomadated individually. I personally use NIC (Neat Idea Cube) cages. They are wire squares sold usually at Target, Wal Mart, or Kmart used to create storage shelves. They make for a great custom cage! The squares are secured together using electrical zip ties, found at home improvement stores. Here is a great link on NIC cages:

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/

Another great place to get ideas is rabbitsonline.net.

Giant Super Pet cages are another option, as are hutches and x-pens. Please allow room for your bunny to streach out, stand up, and hop around!

Litter: Rabbits can in fact be litter boxed trained! A large cat box should be provided, as most corner litter boxes become too small for most rabbits. A rabbit will usually litter train itself, but placing hay in or near the box promotes using the box. For litter, Wood Stove pellets are highly reconmended, but other choices include yesterdays news, pine shavings (NOT ceder or other wood), and carefresh

Diet: Rabbits have a very basic diet. They should be fed a quality rabbit pellet. Some great brands are Purina Advanced Show Diet, Oxbow, and American Pet Diner. Rabbits under a year should be given unlimted pellets, and then over a year 2/3 a cup a day.

They should also be fed unlimited timothy hay, with alfalfa, medow grass, brome, and other hay as supplements. The quality of hay also matters, Kaytee brand is NOT reconmended..you can buy Oxbow hay in stores, or go to your local feed store.

At 3 months, rabbits can start to be introduced to fresh vegtables. These vegtables should incldue DARK LEAFY greens, like romaine, kale, parsely, cilantro. An occsional apple or other non-citrus fruit can be fiven as a treat in portions of 2 tablespoons or less.

Grooming: Depends on the rabbit. Some long-haired rabbits such as Lionheads need daily grooming, other short haired breeds do not. All rabbits should have their nails clip periodically. I reconmend the "Gullotine" clippers, just make sure not to clip the quick.

Health: Rabbits tend to be very hardy creatures with few problems, however if problems do arise take your rabbit to a exotic vet as soon as possible. It is important to spay and nueter your rabbits, it has shown to greatly increase the length of your rabbits life. Also female rabbits are three times more likley to develop cancer when not spayed!

Rabbits should also be given out of cage playtime for at least 2 hours a day. This also means bunny proofing your home! Wires, books, and other items may become bunny lunch.

Thank you :)
He is mine too (Shhhh don't tell Chewy...) he is just so playful and always looking for fun. He is only 4 months old and 5lbs..English Lops get about 10-12 pounds but he is looking he will be on the 12-13 pound (Both parents where 13lbs). He is one of the larger breed of rabbits. Chewbacca is full grown and only 2lbs!

I forgot to add this photo, his 21 inch ears!
026.jpg

outside012.jpg

Back