My new cage i built

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try ordering some perches made of chin-safe wood and attaching those on the upper part. Or cut them yourself if you have any organic apple farms near you. check out what this person did, I think it looks pretty cool

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27079&highlight=branches

been making my own as seen on the photos on the bottom cage since the order ones are only an half and inch thich plus they dont sand it wich makes it easier for the chin to chew I only use poplar since its so dense and hard for the chin to chew :D I ike the branches he had wonder if he bought them or made them

I think the ladder they are referring to is the rope one up to the wicker basket. That one is awkward for a chin to maneuver and a paw could get hung in a knot.

but would it be ok to make it into a bridge once i add a shelf in there? or just throw it out?

Also, you underestimate the determination of a chin to chew things. That plastic pan is not as large as the cage below it. That means the bottom edge of that pan is exposed.

ETA: My shelves are poplar too. I replace the "poo guard" edges every 4-6 months and entire shelf about once a year.

Last edited:
seems easy to clean to me all i have to do is vacum the shelvs take out the fleece and take out the two poo guards.... seeems very easy to me... I have not owned a chin but have friends that do and they have there chins they might hide from an arm but its not that hard to grab them... but they socialize with there animals they dont have 100s or to many for them to handle like alot of people

I don't know what you're getting at here. I'll try to not think that it was directed at me. I hold my chinchillas, they are very socialized and very nice when they go to new homes because my job is taking care of chinchillas. I do this full time and am extremely good at it. Feel free to ask people, who have adopted chins from me.

Regardless of how much a chin is handled that cage will make it difficult to get to the chin. You are going to need to keep a step ladder next to it.

If you ask for opinions on your cage, you have to respect the answers that you receive.

but would it be ok to make it into a bridge once i add a shelf in there? or just throw it out?

Ladders are an accident waiting to happen no matter what angle or direction you place them. You could cut it into pieces for chewing but, that's about it.

I don't know what you're getting at here. I'll try to not think that it was directed at me. I hold my chinchillas, they are very socialized and very nice when they go to new homes because my job is taking care of chinchillas. I do this full time and am extremely good at it. Feel free to ask people, who have adopted chins from me.

Regardless of how much a chin is handled that cage will make it difficult to get to the chin. You are going to need to keep a step ladder next to it.

If you ask for opinions on your cage, you have to respect the answers that you receive.

IM sorry i dint mean u didnt socialize your animals Im jut saying its going to be much easier for me to tame mine then yours since im a stay at home dad and chin will be my new best friend always around me and I dont need to share my time plus my chin wont have another mate which i would think would make him more acceptabl to play time i already have a step ladder... the work isnt going to bother me and i asked for advice on what to add lol and have had very little of that in this forum maybe we are losing communication with then plastic poop pan are i am underestimating its chewing powers lol i will take a closer pic to give u a closer look so u can tell me to throw it out or not... and dang thats crazy yours chew it up every 3 months and replace it yearly lol thats going to be alot of work :D and with the step ladder and all the doors i can reach in every inch of the cage and since i have so much stuff in the cage it should make it more difficult for him to move fast which should make it easier to catch in theary

Ladders are an accident waiting to happen no matter what angle or direction you place them. You could cut it into pieces for chewing but, that's about it.
\\
thanks im going to take them out and replace them with the solid curved pieces of wood i have in the bottom cage

I think the bottom of your cage looks amazing. I would also choose to use just the bottom cage. I see you're looking for a baby, make sure the spacing on the cage is 1/2" by 1/2", they can squeeze through any larger than that!

You can always add on to the cage after you've had the chin for awhile, and once you understand your chin's behavior. It might also help the chin to adjust, as they are usually coming from much smaller cages at a breeder or rescue.

I think the bottom of your cage looks amazing. I would also choose to use just the bottom cage. I see you're looking for a baby, make sure the spacing on the cage is 1/2" by 1/2", they can squeeze through any larger than that!

You can always add on to the cage after you've had the chin for awhile, and once you understand your chin's behavior. It might also help the chin to adjust, as they are usually coming from much smaller cages at a breeder or rescue.

Thanks i have a seperate cage and goin to wait till hes 6 month old before i inderuce him to the big cage do think he will be big enough by then and i can shut off lvls and open them easily so would start with the bottom an go from there but yet still barley an ideals or any reasons why not to use the other cages besides the bottom spacing that can be fixed by fleece
But either way I appreciate all yalls time and effort :D

I just think that with so many of us trying to get you away from that cage that you would consider that and do away with the stacked cage theory your working on. That bottom cage is more than enough. I just couldn't no matter how stable it is, put my chin in a cage like that. After a while you will get sick of it I promise. I had a 3 story ferret nation and i hated it. I couldn't reach my chin to get it out and cleaning was horrible to do.

No matter how much time your spend with your chin or how tame it is that doesn't mean he / she won't run from you while your trying to get it out the cage...and having to stop on a ladder and go through that much trouble...... Id get frustrated after a while. I absolutely love the bottom cage !!!! But the other two I dint care for at all... I think you did wonderful on the bottom. Wish mine looked like that.

thanks and i would take the advice if yall told me not to do it for a reason and not just because u are scared lol do you understand where im coming from? I mean i havent done anything to chin porof the top two cages thats why i am on her for new ideals not just people saying i shouldnt do it because the chin will be fine in a smaller cage I alwaysed thrived for the best for my family :D Please give me a reason why Its wrong? everyone voted for obama that doesnt make him the best president lol no offence to anyone i know yall have more experience to me and im only trying to learn

Trust me i have to much time on my hand i will not get tired of cleaning up poop hehe or waiting with a snack in my hand waiting on the chinchilla to trust me enough to come get it even it takes hours a day!

heres a closer pic of the white cage do yall still think the chin can reach the poop pan? well i guess i doesnt matter because im going to take it out anyways and put fleece on the bottom

Attachments

• 42618656476_ORIG[1].jpg
    42618656476_ORIG[1].jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 36
In my opinion it is just TO much cage and to many things could go wrong.... I would never put my chin in it because I know what could happen and i don't want to even risk it. but I assume your going to do it regardless, so I'll leave it at that. Many members have said no, that would be enough for me .

B]
thanks and i would take the advice if yall told me not to do it for a reason and not just because u are scared lol do you understand where im coming from? I mean i havent done anything to chin porof the top two cages thats why i am on her for new ideals not just people saying i shouldnt do it because the chin will be fine in a smaller cage I alwaysed thrived for the best for my family :D Please give me a reason why Its wrong? everyone voted for obama that doesnt make him the best president lol no offence to anyone i know yall have more experience to me and im only trying to learn

Trust me i have to much time on my hand i will not get tired of cleaning up poop hehe or waiting with a snack in my hand waiting on the chinchilla to trust me enough to come get it even it takes hours a day!

haha many members have said yes also if i didnt do everything that someone told me not to do i would be dead lol to many things could go wrong.... what makes any more dangerous? Maybe if you would be able to give a reason and stop treating me like im a child and your God just cause you say so lol please some real educated advice would be appreciated and all this just cause i say so crap is getting annoying

The ladders won't be of any use for your chin at all, but attaching shelves here and there will provide the same effect, and chins love to jump anyway, and have multiple areas to sit. And as said above, arranged in a way that your chin can't fall far and get hurt. A wheel or saucer, fleece hammock, and chew toys and a hidey box will be great for your chin.

The ladders won't be of any use for your chin at all, but attaching shelves here and there will provide the same effect, and chins love to jump anyway, and have multiple areas to sit. And as said above, arranged in a way that your chin can't fall far and get hurt. A wheel or saucer, fleece hammock, and chew toys and a hidey box will be great for your chin.

thanks :D yea im taking out the latters and throwing them away... do u think i should space the shelves more on the third floor then i did on the first to give him more jumping room? hidey box is next on my agenda hoping i can find one for sale cheap with a chinspin on here or if anyone else has a good advice where to buy them

Thanks i have a seperate cage and goin to wait till hes 6 month old before i inderuce him to the big cage do think he will be big enough by then and i can shut off lvls and open them easily so would start with the bottom an go from there D

I think that's a good idea.

In response to your question for Jenn, yes, I would space the shelves pretty far apart. I think you will be surprised at how far they can jump, without ladders ramps and the like to move between levels. You can also put prepared wood perches in there. I think chins like a variety of surfaces to stand on. I would be a little concerned about those wooden support beams? Is that what they are? Are the shelves stable without them? Because a chin will chew through those pretty fast.

Seems like you are a handy person, if so, making your own hidey house is the way to go. Chin spins are sold through Quality Cage Co, I think they may sell saucers, too. If you do a search, there are a ton of threads about various wheels and where to buy them, including in the FAQ section. You may also want to do a search for homemade cages on here, or melamine cages. That should give you many ideas you can incorporate into your cage and may answer some of your other questions.

I understand you want a reason why not to use the top two cages, but it seems like every reason that has been suggested, you feel wouldn't be an issue for you personally. I think you are just going to have to try it and see if you like it. I wouldn't enjoy a cage that large, personally. As others have said, hard to clean, hard to catch your chin, they can perch so high that your interactions with them would be lessened. It looks top heavy to me, and the larger the cage, the harder it is to control their enviornment. There are many, many ways to spoil your chin, having the largest cage isn't the only way.

In response to your question for Jenn, yes, I would space the shelves pretty far apart. I think you will be surprised at how far they can jump, without ladders ramps and the like to move between levels. You can also put prepared wood perches in there. I think chins like a variety of surfaces to stand on. I would be a little concerned about those wooden support beams? Is that what they are? Are the shelves stable without them? Because a chin will chew through those pretty fast.

Seems like you are a handy person, if so, making your own hidey house is the way to go. Chin spins are sold through Quality Cage Co, I think they may sell saucers, too. If you do a search, there are a ton of threads about various wheels and where to buy them, including in the FAQ section. You may also want to do a search for homemade cages on here, or melamine cages. That should give you many ideas you can incorporate into your cage and may answer some of your other questions.

I understand you want a reason why not to use the top two cages, but it seems like every reason that has been suggested, you feel wouldn't be an issue for you personally. I think you are just going to have to try it and see if you like it. I wouldn't enjoy a cage that large, personally. As others have said, hard to clean, hard to catch your chin, they can perch so high that your interactions with them would be lessened. It looks top heavy to me, and the larger the cage, the harder it is to control their enviornment. There are many, many ways to spoil your chin, having the largest cage isn't the only way.

Thanks so much, I love the reply and have so many comments but am butt tired and couldnt wright and make sense at the same time lol GN

I'm certainly no expert, but I would have to say my suggestion is that I would just stick with the bottom cage for one chin. Mainly because I enjoy looking at my chinchillas, and having something that high up that you might need a step ladder for, well that just doesn't sound too ideal to me. I like setting on the floor right in front of their cage and letting them explore me & get used to me. It just seems like something that big would give the chin more room to try and get away from you. You might say it would be easy to catch it, but you could also be surprised. They are mighty quick little creatures.. mine will be setting in their house one minute and in the blink of an eye they are on my shoulder trying to get down on the floor. Haha. Also, with the top level, as someone else has said, it looks top heavy... I have a girl who is a bit on the chubby side & when she runs and plays, the cage shakes.. I would be afraid that my chinnie would hit a shelf wrong or bump the cage the wrong way and send it toppling over to the floor.

You say you want a reason for it, not just because people are afraid. I think that is a very valid reason to listen to the advice given. I would much rather take the cautious route & know that everything is 100% safe, rather than trying to lavish your chin with a huge cage that it really doesn't need.. and then have something possibly happen to it, just because you were trying to spoil it. You can spoil it in other ways, with good treats, chew toys, love, and giving it a nice safe home.

I love your idea of wanting to give him/her as much room as possible. I would be worried about the height. I have my girls in a big cage they jump and hop and push and everything else. It sounds like they are going to knock the cage over! And I have a FN. It is a very sturdy cage. If your chinchilla likes to pop corn or wall surf the cage (it may not seem like it now) but it can tip over.

I understand where everyone is coming from. I have a fully chinchilla safe cage...And I still had an accident, I came home to a dead chinchilla. It broke my heart. I am just saying...better safe then sorry?

Attach the cage to the wall in case of a earthquake-they been happening in some strange parts of the country so don't assume it won't happen where you are.

Ya putting the shelves far apart on the top cage was my first ideal because i have seen vids of these little guys running around hehehe. Going to either start looking online for big perches just to give him some different texture to sit on. The wooden beams where just extra support to raise the shelves so the poops stay on but without them its still VEAARY sturdy just there not at an up position more of a flat maybe even a quarter an inch slanted on some of them. I just put them there to break his fall or to give him something to slide and squeeze threw... cant wait to see how bad these little guys chew hehehe

The top heavy thing lol dont know how much more i have to do to explain to yall its safe!!! i have a 18 month old boy that runs and tackles shakes and pulls and the cage has never came anywhere close to falling so i doubt a 1 pound chinchilla is stronger then a 30 pound human lol There is NO WAY A CHINCHILLA could nock this over!!! hahaha but thanks for your concerns :D its not top heavy :D if yall look at the picture i can put the cage in the biggest slant possible and it still doesnt bend move or shake so... yea i just dont understand yalls reasoning.... reason 1 hard to clean... not for me :D reason two... harder to catch chinchilla lol i dont care i play with him an hour a day so the other 23 hours this is going to be his world Im sure he would appreciate the extra effort in giving him more space. reason three not sturdy... you cant just look at something and say its not sturdy i have shown pictures and told you as a grown man shook the cages as hard as I can without it moving because wife said something as yall until I showed here how safe it is trust me I wouldnt allow it to be in the same room as my child if it was top heavy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back