My (I mean kids) new Guinea Pig

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkc1038

Well I did it again and looked on the dreaded Craigs list. I saw a free Guinea pig and read the description AND they were about 30 minutes away, soooo long story short I picked up a HUGE male calico Guinea pig. I was worried that the free would bring out all the snake people so I grabbed him right up. Good thing because he would of made a very large snack for a slithery (ps I am not against feeding snakes live )He has to be the biggest one i have ever seen, he is on Rabbit pellets "because he went through the Guinea pig pellets too fast"!!!!! I am slowly transitioning him to regular GP food as well as supplimenting him with Vit C. He has a TRIPLE chin. His cage is the size of a hampsters cage, after QT he will be going into a LARGE 2 story GP cage. He has never had Hay nor Vit C treats(rose Hips), no hide and no toys :(. I think it was ignorance instead of malice on the familys behalf .
One thing that worries me is that he seems to be drinking ALOT more than I expected, the only thing I can figure is his old bottle was for a hampster and it was DISGUSTING with slime so maybe he drank the fresh water fast from that water bottle and he doesnt understand yet he has a fresh supply all the time now. I wash my bottles out everytime I refill which is at the most every other day. So I have Jasper the Giant GP.

Attachments

• jasper.JPG
    jasper.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 94
Congratulations! I am a pretty new guinea pig owner, too. I LOVE my little piggies. They are always 'talking' to me and they are just so cute. They look like walking footballs. Hahaha.

I did notice, though, that the guinea pigs drink a lot more water than the chinchillas do. I had the same thoughts you had, that they seem to be drinking a lot but I think that's just how they are. Also, I think unlike chinchillas, you should limit their pellets or they will get overweight. I give mine unlimited hay, various veggies (mostly mixed lettuces) twice a day and two tablespoons of pellets per pig twice a day.

Your new GP is adorable. I had them as a child in the 1950-60s and have never forgotten how sweet they were. I loved how they talked all the time and they called out to my whole family whenever we came home.

We did have one litter by mistake. The babies are born fully furred, eyes open and ready to eat. We removed the daddy and put in some romaine lettuce leaves. Those five teeny tiny piggies lined up along one long side of a lettuce leaf and chomped it down all in a row. Funniest thing I ever saw.

p.s. we found all the babies good homes. :clap1:

Have FUN!

Yes you should definately limit there pellets and they should have unlimited hay. I have a GP who would eat his pellets and the other ones too and is now 1300G + We have to seperate them now when they eat and take out the left over pellets. Silly piggies

yeah he is a piggy, ha ha he gets a limited supply he is very quiet though no sounds he will be out ofQT soon and in the family room so maybe that will perk him up. Thanks for the advice I had them a long time ago and info is always appreciated.

Latest posts

Back