My first Chinchilla "Chilly"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duhh001

"Chilly"
Ok, I got my first Chinchilla thanks to a friend of mine. He is quite the handful but I love him and try to spoil him.

I got him a Ferret Nation 182 (Crappy Quality), but that's another story. I do like the Pan Covers. Easy clean up with a Dust Buster!!!

Here's "Chilly" my Chinchilla. His other nickname is "Sr. Poops-a-lot".

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Chilly is a cutie!

a few things you may want to change about his cage though:

Snak Shacks are not good for them, lots of sugar in the glue used. i'd replace it with a hidey house made of kd pine.

the cotton rope toy is an impaction hazard. if Chilly ate the strands they could get blocked up inside him. same with the stuffed shark, the threads and stuffing are dangerous. many members here sell cuddle buddies made of 100% fleece, which are safe.

read through the faq's on here, you'll learn lots about chin safe and fun things you can put in Chilly's cage! :))

Snak Shacks are not good for them, lots of sugar in the glue used. i'd replace it with a hidey house made of kd pine.

the cotton rope toy is an impaction hazard. if Chilly ate the strands they could get blocked up inside him. same with the stuffed shark, the threads and stuffing are dangerous. many members here sell cuddle buddies made of 100% fleece, which are safe.

read through the faq's on here, you'll learn lots about chin safe and fun things you can put in Chilly's cage! :))

I was just going to say the same thing. There are SOOO many petstore products that just aren't safe for chins :-( Your baby is a cutie though. Congrats!!!

Welcome to CnH! :D

I would definitely recommend browsing through this forum (especially the FAQs for Basic care, safe woods, treats, etc). As the others have said, a lot of things in petstores aren't very safe for our chins. One thing to add onto what ChinnyMom said, I would remove that plastic shelf. Chilly may not be chewing on it now, but he may decide to do it all of a sudden in the future. To avoid any chance of impaction from chewing on plastic, I would just change all of the shelving to KD pine. They double as safe wooden shelves and chew toys.

Also, check out the Supplies for Sale if you're looking to spoil Chilly to the max!

I believe I have ordered from almost everyone on here and so far I've been extraordinarily pleased with what I've gotten.

He looks very handsome. I hope you have many years of fun play time together.

He's definitely a cutie! You don't like your FN? I really like mine. Maybe mine is a different model than yours. Some people on here might be able to give you some suggestions for a different cage if you are looking to get a different one. Congrats on your new fur baby and welcome to CnH! you are definitely in the right place for all kinds of great info!

Thanks for all the information. I've been reading on here past couple of weeks, and have already ordered a bunch of new stuff, based on recommendations here.

The Shark is actually his bed, he sleeps inside it. I ordered the big Chin Wheel from Chinchilla dot com. I also ordered the better food and hay that was recommended (Timothy). I also like the covers for the trays, as it makes clean up with a dust buster a snap.

I like the size and design of my cage, it's the terrible quality and poor customer service I don't like. I will not recommend Ferret Nation's 182 to anyone, unless you have a metal shop, to straighten out the pieces after they arrive bent.

Btw, any suggestions of products to improve his home is much appreciated. I have 2 levels to his cage. I ordered 2 top covers and 2 bottom covers from Ferret dot com that match the blue / teal set that came with the cage.
IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

He's definitely a cutie! You don't like your FN? I really like mine. Maybe mine is a different model than yours. Some people on here might be able to give you some suggestions for a different cage if you are looking to get a different one. Congrats on your new fur baby and welcome to CnH! you are definitely in the right place for all kinds of great info!

The box and his FN182 arrived damaged.

Congrats on your new chin, he's definitely a cutie.

so adorable.
I would recommend also taking out that plastic box that he is siting on, in the 2nd level.
If he chews it, it can be very harmful for him.
Like someone suggested a nice hidey house made out of kiln dried pine would be awesome for him!

I need to find some perches and boxes for him to rest on if I remove the 1/2 trays. I also need to find him a nice box to put his new Hay I just got thanks to the advice of this site.

We brought him out to play for 20 minutes and I spent as much time picking up his poop with the dust buster as we did playing with him. I have no idea where it all comes from. lol

He is also enjoying his Silver Surfer Wheel, after the website told me how to bend it back into round.

Back