My doxie is Deaf

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

So today I figured out that my Doxie, Bailey, is deaf. He's 15 and I knew it was fading, but today I'm more than sure his hearing is completely gone.

I came home after school today and I couldn't find him. I called for him really loud and he still didn't show up to greet me. I found him sleeping on the couch. I called his name, no answer. Tried louder, still no answer. Practically screaming his name and no answer. I lightly touched his head and he yelped and snapped at me. I felt so bad for him because he had no idea I was there.

Just a few seconds ago I went to take my dogs for a walk. Bailey really didn't feel like going and just flopped on his side when I put the leash on him. So I took Nola instead. I could hear him barking at the door when I left. I came back home and I could still hear him barking. I opened our front door which squeaks, no answer from Bailey. I even slammed it and he didn't show up. Still just barking at the garage door. I walked to the garage door and he didn't even know I was there until he gave up and turned around and looked embarrassed that I was standing there. Poor guy. I feel so bad.

Does anyone else have or has had a geriatric deaf dog? I don't know what I can do to make his remaining years easier on him.

I don't personally have a deaf dog, but at the kennel I used to work at we had a blind and deaf dog that would come in. He really had it rough.

As far as if he's sleeping, I would suggest not touching him, as it's obvious last time you scared him. You could try stomping on the ground if he's laying on the ground, or moving something near him, that way he can feel it and not just all of a sudden be stunned to be touched.

I had a dog that went deaf when she was older. She would park herself out in the backyard sound asleep and every time I came home I was worried that she's passed away. I finally got into the habit of asking one of the other dogs to go get Smokey. They would go out and nudge her to let her know it was time to come inside. There was one upside of her losing her hearing, she was no longer upset by thunder or fireworks.

I have a deaf cat. Mostly I treat her like any other cat except for a few things -- someone already mentioned not touching her when she's asleep. I try to tap whatever Bria is laying on so that the vibrations sort of rouse her before I pet her. I taught her a few signs so she knows what I am offering or telling her, and I put a bell on her collar so that I can find her a little easier. Sometimes if I can't find her, I'll stomp on the floor a few times and that usually wakes her and she'll come to me.

I had a shepard/lab mix that went deaf @ 14 - stomping on the floor works, except in the basement!
She went downhill fast after that, so be prepared!

Latest posts

Back