My chinchilla keeps sneezing and scratching

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Na bum 06

My chinchilla keeps sneezing and biting his fur any ideas what it could be any help would be much appreciated.

MY chins sneezes sometimes too. I took her to the vets about it, she was fine.
Maybe you should change his dust? Especially if he's scratching.

How often do you give dust baths. The itching could be from dry skin caused by too baths. Chins, like any other animal can sneeze because their nose tickles or something got in it (like dust). Sneezing does not necessarily mean a respiratory infection.

Hi Cuddlebug hopefully you will see this even though its been nearly over a year. I took them to the vet with the sneezing and itching and he gave them anti-biotic's and that cleared it up but soon after they started itching again. We give them their dust bath every night for as long as they want it we just wait till they leave it alone for 5 mins or so then take it out should I give it less often or is the itching/biting their fur normal they don't take any hair out they just bite at it. hope someone see this again and can help I'm a bag of nerves worrying over them. Thanks in advance xx Na xx

If you live in a dry region it might be giving them dry skin. You can try cutting back to a bath every 2 or 3 days and see if that helps.

If you live in a very dry area, baths are not necessary every day in fact, it will dry out their skin and make them itch. Where I live, the air is usually dry and I only need to bath my chins once a week.

I Live in Scotland so it mostly rains here with the occasional warm day lol what do you think? thanks again

I still wouldn't dust them more than every other day possibly only 2-3 times a week. Chins love their dust baths and will over dust if you let them.

Back