My chinchilla Hotel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have looked into the glue. It is the same make up as elmers glue and the wood is pine. This wood is 3 layers of pine glued together with a non-toxic glue. It is press board that is toxic. And everyone says it is toxic because one person said it than others parroted it. Kinda like the plastic thing. Plastic can be used in cages too but when in doubt don't use it. chinchillas do not injest what they are chewing

There are also big hunks of pine in there that the chinchillas gravitate too.

I don't know much about the makeup of woods and processed boards or if this is true for all but when I was taking a botany class a few years ago, my professor said that plywoods and particleboards are held together with resins and formaldehyde pastes.

I have a piece of plywood in the garage, I would like to use it to make a cage like the black chin is in, so can I use it or not? I can buy something else but I really would like to use it. Nice cages BTW!

Looks great! Do you have wire mesh covering the floors or can they reach the black pans? And what are the black pans? They look like bus tubs lol...I really want to build some cages like that on castors...

The mesh is only covering the pans in the 4 small cages, for the bigger cages they can get down into the pan. Marshall always builds a frame around the edges so they cannot be chewed easily. They are just cement mixing pans

That is a VERY impressive cage! I love all of the shelves and ledges! Great Job!!

Wow, it looks so cool! I love the interesting shaped shelves!!!

Can my chin come and stay over for a night? ;)

While there is formaldehyde free plywood it's hard to come by and not something you'll probably find at you local lumberyard.

I'm avoiding plywood in my house, let alone my cages.

So is it ok or not? How do you know if you have the good plywood or bad plywood? I got mine at home depot.

I have used this type of cage for years and years with no problems, infact my chinchillas have continued to thrive. If you want to know ingrediants call the manufacturer, there should be a stamp on your peice of plywood. I get this every time Marshall builds me a new cageand I post it. We are very very careful about how my cages our built. I (knock on wood) have never had any issues arise because of my cages. But when in doubt don't use something. I am not in doubt about how my husband built them so I will continue the same way I always have.

Back