My chin made a strange new sound

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecheekychin

Hey everyone, I'm new here as of tonight. I made an account in search of answers, because I am so worried about my rue bear (My chinchilla). So she is just under about 2 yrs old, has always been healthy, and we have a great relationship. I know the differences in her sounds (from barks to grunts to teeth chatters etc.), but tonight I heard a new sound. This sound is so unlike anything I have heard her make. It sounds like a deflated squeaky toy...like after a dog chewed it? For the record, it is not a bark. I have even googled / youtubed numerous videos of chinchilla sounds and noises trying to find a match. Are any of you familiar with the sound I am talking about? I'm worried she might be sick or in pain. I also am prone to overreacting. I just know that they are animals of prey, and she would only call out in such a way if she were very sick. I wish I had a better way to describe the sound. I have tried recording her, but she does not do it often and when she does it is without warning. It is shrill at first like a toy, and then deflated...also not as consistent in tone or length the way a bark is (it changes each time she makes the sound). Please help me :c

sounds like the 'gottca cry'. Chins make this cry (sounding like they are in real trouble/screeching sound) when they are looking for attention. I don't know how many times I have gone running to see what is the matter only to have a chin look at me with the 'what took you so long' look

Hi, welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie too :~) I'm waiting for my Chinchilla Kit to be born so I can't offer direct advice re Chins. But I've raised many other animals/birds/reptiles/fish so until someone with more direct experience comes along and I'm sure they will! Here are some things that from my 40+ years of experience I can offer.
1) I know it's hard but try to stay calm, she'll pick up on your anxiety and it will increase any she has.
2) Is she eating, drinking normally?
3) Are her poo normal?
4) Is she weeing?
5) Is she making any other distress/angry call?
6) Will she let you hold her? If yes VERY gently check her for cuts, lumps anything that does not seem right. Keep very calm and be reassuring while you do this.
7) She's not making this noise all the time so is there any consistency in what she's doing when she makes the call? A certain place in her cage? A particular toy she's near/using?
8) Have you changed anything tonight, new laundry soap/conditioner? Air spray (rodents particularly in my experience have issues with these as well as carpet/fabric fresheners so I use Baking Powder to absorb smells)
9) Back to 1 I really do know it's hard but if everything above is ok, then it's especially important that you keep calm for her.
Yes, she is a prey animal but you as her Pack Leader and Parent have ensured she is safe from Predators. Your calmness will remind/reassure her of that fact.
Good luck and do let us know how you and your little girl get on.

Mount Zion Chins, Not one I've heard off in my research so I'm really glad you've responded. I'll add this one to my list before my new little "gets me :~)

Mine make this noise to. I call it the squeaky door sound but it quite often rounds like a dog toy. It's called the contact call. They just want to know where you are and have some attention. It's nothing to worry about. Their scream of pain is similar to a rabbits- high pitched and shrill. There is an app for your phone called chincilla translator (spelling mistake intended). I can't remember if it's on there but it's kinda neat to hear the other sounds to.

My boy, Rue (sometimes Rue Bear!) makes that sound too. It's usually very early in the morning, around 3-4, and I'll go over and see him and he's just looking at me like 'What's wrong?' I got him from someone else when they had to move, so I was absolutely terrified he was hurt or something had happened, but it seems like he only does it on days he didn't get to run around as much.

The sound you're talking about is something like this, correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_9lfCfZr9k

I found this link in the four or fifth post on the Chinchilla Sound Resource thread under the Behavior topic. Good luck with Rue! She sounds just fine :)

Back