my chin keeps urinating on the bed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahitchcox

We have a male chinchilla, not sure how old he is but probably 2-3 years old. We have chin-proofed a spare bedroom and let him out for about an hour every night. He has started urinating on the bed. The first time he did it was no big deal, just washed the comforter and sheets. But now he does it 2-3 times a week, and it's incredibly annoying to have to wash the comforter and sheets 2-3 times a week.

Does anyone have any tips to try to get him to stop this behavior? The bed is the only place we have noticed that he urinates on when he's out of the cage. We do have a tablecloth underneath his cage that he has urinated on once or twice, but that's not a big deal cause it's easy to clean. The floor isn't carpeted, it's hardwood so maybe that's why he doesn't go on the floor?

We are going to start putting a bowl out with some wood shavings in it to hopefully attract him to that when he's out of the cage (we don't use wood shavings in his cage cause it has a wire bottom and we have unscented cat litter underneath that). Is there anything else we can do to try to deter him? I know we can't scold him. Obviously we could not let him on the bed, but I have no idea how I could block the bed off to make it so he can't jump on it, especially since we lie on it when he's out.

Limit the amount of time he is out. If you can try to take him out as soon as you notice he pees in the cage then leave him out for 15 minutes for play. 1 hour is a long time to a chin. I am sure he is not just peeing on your bed.

Like everyone else says-keep him off your bed if you don't like the behavior.

If you don't want a little poo and pee in an area, then it is best to keep him out of the area.
OR
You can put a blanket over your comforter, one you don't care for and wash when needed.

I feel your pain. My chin pees wherever he feels fit. He has full cage access and a whole floor and blanket.. But he peed on my pillow the other night. Sucks, but I had it out there so I guess it's just a piece of owning them ha!

We have an adorable male about 4 months old and he loves getting on the bed with us and burrowing/tunneling under the comforter. I bought several cheap towels from Goodwill and we put those on the bed before we let hi

Back