My chin gave birth, and I caught it on video!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for the video. I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm glad I wasn't crazy in thinking she was making a lot of noise. This was very educational for me as someday in the far future I'd like to take in rescues and one is bound to be pregnant. Now I'll know if she makes these kinds of noises to get her to a vet.

I am no expert on breeding, and how labor should go, but I wanted to thank you for sharing the video! It's always so amazing to witness a birth, and the kits are adorable! Best of luck to mom and kits!

There is no generalized "peak size." Some chins will never get above 400 gm and some will top out at 1200 gm. At what age they reach maturity will depend on their genetics. If she's a year old, then she's most likely reached her top end.

When people talk about breeding 8-9 month old chins, a lot of times that's for a black velvet because they take longer to get started. Or, if the chin is a really decent size at that age, they will get into breeding sooner as well.

I agree. Some chins are just smaller and probably shouldn't be in breeding. One thing to really watch for is the size of the pelvic opening. It has to be large enough to pass a kit regardless of the size of the female. I like to wait a little longer with my girls to see if they are going to grow more, normally I won't put them into breeding until they are a year or more old - that's just my personal preference. I don't like to have to take in chins for c-sections so I am very careful with my girls. (Even when everything is exactly perfect and the female should be an excellent candidate for motherhood or has had kits before with no problems things can go wrong.)

With this girl I think she was having an issue getting that baby out because of her size. It's possible that the baby was coming out at a funny angle and that's what caused her discomfort. I'm so glad that the baby was able to be delivered.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. This forum is awesome! It seems like there is so much more to learn.

I feel fortunate that both kits and mom are healthy. The kits are so incredibly CUTE and are already jumping all over the place. I've shared a good video of the kits for those who are interested:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChinTubeHD?feature=mhum#p/u/0/3K3CM6EtpNM

I really want to try to educate others through my videos. I've seen some really poorly treated chins, and I think a lot of the time the owner isn't even aware of what he/she is doing!

I just saw the video and they are beautiful!! I'm so glad everything worked out. I've only had babies twice in 10 years and that just brought back memories. Give Mom some extra scritches for doing a great job. And those babies are just too cute. Thanks for sharing the video.

Back