My chin gave birth, and I caught it on video!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never able to capture the exact moment of birth even when I tried to stay up all night "watching". missed it when i fell asleep!

Congrats on the babies and their safe delivery. The poor girl sounded like she was in a lot of pain - I've never heard a female birthing with such loud noises. She looks far too small to be in breeding.

Is it possible to take that ramp out of the cage and replace it with wooden ledges? That's just not safe for chins in general, especially kits.

I would also worry about the different levels in that cage. Mom can go up top and the baby may not be able to access her. If the babies can't get to her they can't feed and stay warm.

I've only heard one of my females ever make any kind of discernible noises when giving birth and that's when she had quints and one was stuck. Most of the time I can be standing right there next to the cage and not even know a female is giving birth.

It's awesome that you were able to get the video, but I also agree, she is tiny and I would not risk breeding her again, especially after hearing how this birth went.

Oh poor thing! it broke my heart to hear her in so much pain! yes the babies are cute, but you are risking her life if you breed her again....she had a really hard time with this one.

I read everyone's posts and thought that the girl would just have made a few grunts. I've never heard anything like that before! I've heard them make a noise when the babies are coming out or the little grunts when they have a powerful contraction. That chin had to have been very uncomfortable to make that noise unless she's just a bizarre chin that makes funny noises quite a bit. I think that the baby was stuck at a strange angle until she finally got the head to present itself.

I also think that the other baby was being pretty vocal to add on to the mom's noise.

They are adorable! Congrats!

I also think that the other baby was being pretty vocal to add on to the mom's noise.

The standard kit made a few peeps, but the majority of the noise is coming from mom. You can see the squealing correspond with every breath she took. That is not normal.

Congrats on the beautiful babies. Glad that everything went well and hope mom and babies are doing fine. Got to post pics since it has been a few days.

I'd have to agree with the other's on here. She looks skinny and small and she was definately more vocal than the ones I have here deliver. My question for you would be-what would you have done if that kit was stuck? Or if she had one large one?

how old is the mom?

The mom just turned 1 year old. I hear that you can start breeding chins when they are 8-9 months old, but from the responses it sounds like the mom should also be physically mature (i.e. big enough). For some reason, she's a lot smaller than the other chins I see at the farm of the same age, even though I feed her the same diet. When do they reach their peak size?

Both kits and mom are doing very well. I will definitely hold off on breeding my Mochi again until I know it will be safe. Thanks for all the replies!

Glad the kits were born healthy. I didn't listen to the audio. Just watched the video. Then took the time to read through the other forum members posts. From the moment I started to watch the video I said to myself, " this female looks way too small to be bred."

Just wanted to say that the animals look very well taken care of. And you will want to keep your mom and kits on one level surface for a couple weeks because mom will try to take a break and be too high for them to get to her. Thus one level keeps them warm and the all important nursing at will. At week two I will put my mom's ledge back in but only 6 inches off the floor. The kits can really climb and hop by then. Hay your new family heavy. I would recomend a thumb size small amount of oats for mom or some calf manna to give her some boost. Watch for kit fighting at this stage.

I hope you woud take my well meaning advice and perhaps retire this female due to her size. It's important to know pelvis size and make sure your males are not larger then breeding females. Big kits can cause many problems. Best wishes on the little family.

Added after your last post: Some of my animals take a bit over a year to reach their full growth.

The mom just turned 1 year old. I hear that you can start breeding chins when they are 8-9 months old, but from the responses it sounds like the mom should also be physically mature (i.e. big enough). For some reason, she's a lot smaller than the other chins I see at the farm of the same age, even though I feed her the same diet. When do they reach their peak size?

Both kits and mom are doing very well. I will definitely hold off on breeding my Mochi again until I know it will be safe. Thanks for all the replies!

Glad to hear you're going to hold off on breeding her. I just wanted to point out that not all chins will reach a size that is safe for breeding. So unfortunately even if you let her grow out more she may never be big enough to breed. I guess thats the risk a breeder takes when they bring young animals home. You can never be entirely sure if you'll be able to use them in the future. Do you have a breeding mentor to work with? Someone who's been doing this for a long time and can help when questions come up?

Back