My baby pees on himself.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreya

So my new baby chin (in my avatar) seems to have a peeing problem. At first it looked like maybe the mother had peed on him but he has gotten bigger and the pee is always in the same place, around his belly and penis. He is almost weaned and otherwise very sweet/healthy/happy. Eats well, drinks well, bathes but constantly has a pee soaked butt. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if they know what might cause it?

I know someone here has a chin who has a leaking problem. If I remember right they have to give him water baths every so often. Could it be hes leaking?

He could just be peeing in a spot and staying there and sitting in the puddle after he pees, which in turn stains his bottom. Is he on fleece liners, wood shavings? Does he pee on ledges?

Stacie,

I don't think so. He is in a cage with shavings. He has a top floor that is made of wire so there isn't anywhere for the pee to puddle. He is still in with his mom and his brother and they usually all sleep together and he is the only one with pee. It's not just stained either, it is always wet. I had a FN for a while and the chins would kick out all of their bedding and sit in their pee, one of the reasons I got rid of it.

Chintastic - I am not sure what "leaking" is?

Hmm, he may have continence issues then or something else may be going on. I know Essentia on here has a chin who has the "leaking" that Chintastic mentioned, she has to give him water baths ever so often. I will PM her and direct her to this thread and see if what your chin is experiencing is something similar to what hers has.

I have also heard of chins with stones or bladder infections having this issue as well.

If he is in fact leaking urine your first step is to bring him to the vet. He could have a UTI or stone. You will need to get an xray done to make sure there is not a stone in his kidney/bladder. If there is no stone the vet will likely prescribe a round of antibiotics to make sure there is not an infection that is causing it. If it is a genetic incontinence issue he will have to have his bottom washed/dried about once every 2 weeks depending on how quickly he gets messy. Urine sitting on his genitals/stomach can cause urine burn, which brings a whole nother round of problems. My Riku gets a bath usually once every 2 weeks and that usually keeps him pretty white down there. He has never had any urine burn but I have seen others that have. Urine burn can cause pain and infection so it's something you will definitely want to keep an eye out for.

I would imagine that like a child in a diaper too long that wet would develope a rash.. so would the chin considering how dense their fur is, it would sit longer...

Essentia - Thanks for the info. He is almost 8 weeks old and has been peeing on himself since he was a few days old. Can chins get UTI's from birth? I don't think he has what your Riku has, as I don't think he is leaking. Based on the amount of urine down there I think every time he pees he wets himself. I don't know if perhaps it's an issue with his penis itself? I can clean his butt and give him a dust bath and he will be just about as dirty the next day as he was before I cleaned him. Should I be bathing him daily to avoid urine burn? I should stress that he is otherwise acting completely fine. He is gaining weight, eating, drinking and doesn't seem to have any issues other than wetting himself.

Back