Mutation Sizes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The1nOnlyMatty

Hopefully this isn't too much of a newby question. Do different mutations grow at different rates? I have four boys and I adopted them in pairs at the same age both times, two months, with the exception of my mosaic who we later found out was four months. My first two boys were a hetero and homo beige. They are now five months and seem to be growing at a pretty steady rate. My mosaic was four moths but seems to be growing pretty steady, as well as his mosaic markings seem to be getting more radical. However, my standard, may be a medium or dark, is three months and doesn't seem to have grown much at all. I know being the youngest he shouldn't be the same size as the others but he definitely is not noticeably any bigger then when we adopted him from what I can tell. I did recently learn that the wheel is not healthy for them at such a young age so I removed, however he was one of the most active on it so I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor as well. Anyone with insight on growth patterns would be greatly appreciated...just want to make sure there isn't a reason for me to be concerned...yet.

As long as they're growing, eating, and pooing, I wouldn't be overly concerned if one stayed smaller than the others, regardless of color. Some chins get the "smaller" genes, some get the "larger" genes.

That said, when I was starting out and purchased my first mosaics, I noticed that on their pedigrees (one of the two was around 1.5 years) it said "growing" on the weight. I was told whites (as well as other mutations I'm sure) take longer to fully develop. I was told whites can continue to grow until 2 years of age. And for the chins I have here, it seems to be true. Some of the standards will be done growing at under a year, the whites keep growing. I imagine this could be possible for other mutations as well.

That was the same I heard, was that standards have a tendency to grow a bit faster, hence the concern. I could just be being over critical. He may much seem smaller because all the other boys have a couple months on him. He is still eating, drinking and playing fine, in fact he is the most active. Thank you for the info.

When I adopted my violets, the breeder mentioned that they grow at about half the rate as standards. Not sure if this is true but they are a year now and don't seem to be done growing yet (little fatties). Your standard might have yet to hit his 'growth spurt' since he is younger than the others and you seem to be a very tentative chin parent so I bet he's taking his time growing up lol. At least they are adorable at any age

He may just end up being a smaller chin. If a breeder thinks a chin is going to be on the small side in many cases that one is going to get offered up for sale as a pet before any of their larger ones. That does not mean he is unhealthy though.

Very good points everyone has made. Thanks for all the info. I think the older boys will be perfectly fine with him not growing anytime soon. They seem to think he makes the perfect size pillow to squish on top of lol.

When I adopted my violets, the breeder mentioned that they grow at about half the rate as standards. Not sure if this is true but they are a year now and don't seem to be done growing yet (little fatties).

I don't think it's necessary true about violet grow at half of the rate as standards. Unless the parents were slower grower. Mostly depend on the genotype. My violet girl is a fatty. 650g at 5 month old.

Do you own a digital gram scale? I would invest in one, if not, to keep an eye on their weights so you have a record, should you need them :D

I do not, but from reading around on here a bit I'm thinking it would be a good investment. Is there and average, or minimum, weight that a 3,4,5 month old chin should be around?

Micah and Sterling are sisters (mosaic s/c). Sterling at last weigh in was 758g and Micah is 593g. My standard, Gizmo is 693g. Gizmo just turned 2 and is still gaining. Sterling and Micah are 21 months and are leveling off some. Micah is the most active. I would get a scale so you can be certain whether they are gaining or not especially since they are babies. It's fun to log their progress!

Just picked up a digital scale and weighed everyone. These were the weights I got:

Gus Gus (Hetero Beige) 5mos: 441g
Jaq (Homo Beige) 5mos: 416g
Jester (Mosaic) 4mos: 378g
Duke (Standard) 3mos: 285g

Those seem like decent weights. Ideally you'll want to be sure Duke is gaining -- I wouldn't weigh every day, but like here, I weigh twice a month -- but if he is, you'll be fine. We've had some babies here who barely are 250 by 2 months, and then you separate them from mom and they seem to plateau for awhile... and eventually they gain again, but some are just slower than others.

Anyway, point is, I'd keep weighing em, as long as they're all gaining or at least maintaining (though if only maintaining, I would wonder why) you should be good.

Thanks! My mind was a little more at ease after weighing him. When I adopted him I remember seeing him get weighed before he left. He was right around the 250 mark. I have had him a few days over a month now so, he has been gaining an average of about a gram a day.

That's decent weight gain. Like to see 1-2 grams/day for kits, so I suppose that would carry over into a still-growing chin (we still weigh the growers, but I don't pay attention to day-by-day weight). You wouldn't want him putting on weight too fast, so as long as he's gaining something, you should be good. *thumbs up*

Those wwights all look good for their ages. Just keep in mind that they grow like kids do. Not everyone in 3rd grade is the same height or weight. As long as he is gaining and not loosing, I wouldn't be worried. They have growth spurts so it may not be steady but there will always be just a little till they are fully grown.

Dropped by Whimsy's today to pick up some new decor for the FN coming on Monday. While there she showed me his parents as well. They are smaller in size, so its a good possibility he's just going to be a little guy :)

Back