Moving with my babies....Needing opinions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smuggled rats into college, so... just please be careful. Your chins will be fine in the carrier as long as you keep the car cool. Good luck!

When I moved into apartments my experience has always been that there isnt so much a central office with a window looking out to people who are outside but that you do your own thing and your only bothered if your a bother or if you need something. Usually, no one was around when I was moving in so it wasnt smuggling so much as just moving it in.
It isn't really the manager I'd be worried about. My experience is that neighbors are nosey. Most of the apartments that area seem to be very large buildings so, I tend to think that someone is going to notice a cage moving in and wonder why.

im just gonna chime in about the apartment issue. i know that you've already stated your position and believe me, ive been i your shoes.

the first example thread posted earlier was my thread. the second one was a debate regarding the issue of pets. believe me, i felt attacked when i read those threads and i often hate seeing them brought up. despite what you may say, the idea is extremely selfish. i talked to my apartment managers about gizmo and was able to keep him. for the new lease i just signed, they are allowing caged animals.

in my opinion, if you actually ASK and be HONEST about things, its a safer situation. to just say that theyre "so important" and that you'll "take the risk" is only benefitting yourself, not them. you say you'll take the risk, but if theyre caught, then what? you will either face a fine, be forced to remove the pets, or get evicted. NONE of those sound like a good idea.

i know youre frustrated, but dont expect to mention something and then not be called out on it. the forum is for the best interest of the chins, not the owners. last summer i felt horrible when everyone came down on me about having Gizmo in a no-pet apartment. im not in your area so i dont know of any reasonable places for you to live that allow pets, but there has to be some option.

please dont turn a deaf ear to this concern. im glad i didnt.

I don't see how you are being selfish... you are risking getting caught with chinchillas and a bunny... big deal. that isnt "only thinking about yourself," its wanting to care for your pets and potentially facing consequences that will affect YOU. Your chins go where you go, and provided that you take good care of them, i'm all for that. Its not like you are sneaking a meth lab in the apartment! if in the unlikely event that they kick you out, how is that hurting the chinchillas?

i think moving into the other apartment with roaches would be selfish. in that situation, your chins could eat a dead roach which may have poision and subsequently kill your chin.

heres what you should do. call the apartment office from a friends phone and ask if they allow caged pets. if yes, then call a few days later and tell them that youre moving in and have caged pets! if no, then u will know that you are breaking the rules, but they won't have a record of you asking that specific question.

Everyone should remember; "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Last edited:
Hey, if you want to risk paying a fine, getting evicted, or being forced to rehome your pets all because you were not honest and did not ask, go for it. It can and does happen as Laurie has shared with us - and her landlord even knew. Rules are set for a reason. The landlord would probably appreciate honestly over deception. I honestly doubt that every single apartment that allows pets is filled with roaches and disease ridden. Indianapolis has some low places as well but I somehow managed to find 10 very nice apartments in a 20 mile radius that allowed pets - some stated no pets but I actually asked and they said they were fine with caged. ;)

Last edited:
"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

^^ :laughitup:

Too funny, especially coming from a guy b/c most of the women I know use this philosophy on their husbands/boyfriends a lot, especially when bringing a new pet home. I just did this last weekend when my mom dropped off a cat at my house, my husband said NO more cats and I never said anything and then my mom dropped her off and he is ignoring her but I don't care b/c she's my cat anyway and is glued to my side. I think I need to change my signature to that, lol.

We are going to take the ferret nation apart into 2 pieces.... and we have boxes to fit the 2 parts....so, we are going to take them in in boxes, just like the babies themselves! Unfortunately, I just found out yesterday that I have to have my gall bladder removed, so I won't be lifting anything....maybe thats a good thing since my apartment is on the 3rd floor! Also to answer the question of the temperature, when i take the babies to the vet (its an hour and 10 minutes away from my home now) i always have the car running for like 15 minutes before with the AC on...but getting a digital thermometer is a good idea...thats for the tip!

Why even mention that you are breaking the rules at your new place? Sounds like you just wanted to see what kind of reaction you would get, don't get upset when people respond to your post. There are rules for a reason, how hard is it to follow them? Just ask if caged small animals are o.k. the answer can only be yes or no. If yes you don't need to bother being dishonest, if no, I'm sure you'll do what you want any way.

Thats why she stopped answering you guys about it because she wasnt asking for your opinion on it she was just mentioning it not realizing she was going to be called selfish.

We are going to take the ferret nation apart into 2 pieces.... and we have boxes to fit the 2 parts....so, we are going to take them in in boxes, just like the babies themselves!

you're taking the cages IN the boxes with the chins INSIDE them?

Luci, she is going to put her pets in their carriers and place their carriers in a box then pacl the box inside. Once inside shes going to take the carriers out of the box.
Her cage is a ferret nation and its being taken apart so thats its 2 pieces (top and bottom, I assume) then one half will be placed in a box and took inside. The same with the other.

That what I gathered from it. :D

Last edited:
BooBoo you got it exactly right. As to the person saying that I said that no pets were allowed because I "wanted a reaction" you obviously didn't read what I said about just wanting to know about the carriers. Hind sight is 20/20 and if I knew it would have caused such issues, I would have omitted that from my post.

Latest posts

Back