Moving 1000mi, what do I do with my chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
Ok, so I'm moving back home to Texas at the end of May, beginning of June. I am going to be driving back and it will have to be a 2 day trip due to all of my animals. The cats and dog I'm not too worried about, it's the chins. I was planning on having them in the front seat of my car with the ac on them the whole time. I'd have their chinchillers in the carriers and frozen bottles of water in case there's car trouble and I have to turn the car off for a while. I've heard of the chinchilla railroad, but I haven't researched it, I really don't want them to have to travel 2 days and spend all that time in carriers, but I'm not sure what my options are, I can't afford the plane tickets, I'd probably need 2...So any advice? Thanks!!

I wouldn't put them in the front seat, because the sun is going to beat down on them from the front window. Instead, I'd make sure the seat was all the way back and put them on the floor where they will be out of sunlight, but can still get the a/c. You don't want the air blowing directly on them, but rather around them, keeping the temperature in the vehicle cool for their comfort.

I assume you will be stopping overnight? Just make sure you have some food, hay, and water for them when you stop. They'll be fine until you stop for the night.

I drive 1200 miles in a day and don't provide water until I get to the hotel. They tend not to drink it anyway and if you leave it hanging on the cage, it will just leak all over them. They will be just fine in the carriers. When attending a show, some people travel 16 hours each way, then spend 2 nights at the show, and the entire time the chins are in carriers or carrier sized cages. Honestly, they sleep most of the time (except when YOU want to sleep, then they bark <rolls eyes>).

I would also get those little kid shades for the side windows. It'll be more comfy for them, and for your dog and cats too.

I for sure want the window shades, or to tent my windows before then, and on the floor would work wonderfully....Thank you so much! I think mine have a 6th sense of when I'm about to fall asleep anyway, they always bark right at that moment, day or night.

Never driven 1000 miles at one go, but I used to travel lots back & forth between MI & NY for weekends. I used to take my chinchilla with me & he did fine throughout the car trips. I kept him in the back seat, in the middle where the front ac blows at him, & away from the sun. Didn't play the music too loud & had lots of chew stuff in the carrier cage so he wouldn't get bored. I didn't keep waterbottles on the carrier cage because it would leak. I'd give him water every rest/gas stop. He'd stay with me for a night or 2 in a hotel, I'd let him out in the bathroom, and by the end of the week we'd drive back. I did this 2-3 times & now I think he's pretty used to car trips.

Tunes is right. They will be fine. We just went on vacation, which turned into an 11 hour drive each way with our Chins. They stayed in the carrier from Thursday until Monday evening. They did just fine, and our chin baby was only 4 days old at the time. Just follow the advice given above and I'm sure they will be a-ok! Good luck with the move!

Before you put the chins on the floor, check the floor after driving for awhile!
Catalitic convertors can be too close, and sometimed the shield breaks and falls off, causing the floor to get pretty hot!
Just feel it with your hand - you'll know!
Good luck with your move!

Oh no! You're moving? Can you stop by on your way out to Texas? I want to say goodbye.

They'll be fine, but definitely make sure to take plenty of ice in a cooler. I take chins in the car all the time, they generally sleep most of the time. Put in a small dish of pellets and some hay cubes and toys. Sometimes a little cereal box works out pretty well because they can shred it up, it gives them something to do.

I can't believe you're actually moving away. :( I'm going to miss you!

Awww I'm sorry Susan, I wish I could. I know you didn't get to see the boys last time you were here. It's already going to be a two day trip. Ug. Ill have to see if I can find some pics to post...Most of them are on my phone. Syd is a lover now and Teddy is a turd btw. Silly boys.:hmm: they traded.

I'm moving home to Marion TX. It's about 20 min NE of San Antonio. It's gonna be a heck of a drive, but worth it. I will miss AZ, and am NOT looking forward to the humidity again thats for darn sure. All of my family, most of my friends, fiance are all there, so it's time to go. Lol and I'm not getting my ring till I'm home sooo...

Latest posts

Back