mortonjones.com

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they are not safe-the cross bars cause head injuries when jumping on and off, that and the mounting is a issue. I would say not safe for any amimal.

You don't specifically mention a certain wheel but a quick look shows that they have crossbars which is not a good thing. The scissoring action of those bars can cause many injuries but more than likely a broken leg at the least. They can also get caught and strangle themselves. Definitely not worth it. Invest in a good wheel and it will last a very long time.

Since I tend to work long hrs I don't have time to take the boys out everyday so I read that a wheel would be good idea for them...would it still be recommended not to get a wheel?

Chins don't "need" them but they do enjoy them, chin safe wheels are expensive so if you can't afford a good one do without.

They don't need a wheel to make up for playtime. They don't even need playtime. Give them playtime when you can and if you can't afford a good wheel, then don't get one. Chins will give themselves plenty of exercise inside of the cage. It's a pet owner's own need to interact with the animals or "spoil" them that pushes people to let them out for playtime or get them wheels.

I don't recommend wheels to any of my customers. Like Cathy said...chins can injure themselves on even the "safest" wheel. Chins aren't made so much for a running behavior as they are for hopping and bouncing around.

Can you please post links to all these threads that have wheel injuries that I must have missed? Its being presented as a epidemic that frankly I don't see. Chins in a cage can injure themselves, wheel or not.

It's a pet owner's own need to interact with the animals or "spoil" them that pushes people to let them out for playtime or get them wheels.
\

And is this not why pet owners have chins? We have them to enjoy and spoil them, not keep them in a cage 24/7/365 in a corner.

I wouldn't get a Mortonjones wheel they don't look that safe. I have Ed spins in almost all my cages they love having the wheels. I have 1 that has the Silver wheel from chinchillas.com, then I also have Chin spins which have not been used yet for spare cages. I would look on craigslist for a used one.

Back