Mom going past 115 as of today, Monday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALS_WIS

Hey ,

I had a username over on cnq and carried it here, but didnt post a while and forgot the password. My name is similar, for those that need to know or whatever, I am a small breeder in Wis.

I am waiting for my standard mom, who had a litter of twins last year, this will be her second. This time I need some improvements and bred her to a very nice standard male. Witnessed the mating at 11 night Jan23, so I set the date at may 14. If that was a wrong date, someone let me know. I also found and saw more than one plug that day.

Anyways, everything has developed in consistency with that date, lots of weight gain, however the last three days she shed off like four grams and stayed. She appears to be open down there and a little swollen, and when she is sleeping on her side I can see them moving ( her fur and skin moved with the baby ( or babies.. she has gained a LOT this is either two or a big one) . I have heard they can go up to 120 days. Is this true and is there anyone here who experiences a mother who gestates a little longer than the min.time?

I am worried about her more than she is worried but last time she delivered right on the day, the twins were small, but the father was. She didnt bring in milk for two days the first time. This time around her nipples the hair is already gone, she is swollen up, I have alfalfa and apple juice, all the good stuff but maybe she is just taking her time..

When should I be worried and bring her in? I wont hesitate if I need to bring her into a vet and have them c-section them out or deliver them if they can just not sure how long to let her go. No signs of labor at all, no discharge other than normal, no blood. Thanks a lot to anyone who can give me their advice on this. ...

Urgent Update on 115 days mom..

hello,

I posted that in the middle of the night. Since then, it is right now 6 40 in the morning where I live. Just came home and dropped husband off. I went in there about a minute ago, everything was quiet. I noticed she had pushed ALL the shavings off the back part and "mountained" them up around here and the house. I also notice a red soaked shaving. ( i use kiln dried pine) .

Either she is giving birth, gave birth, or whatever, I am very scared recently a mother of mine lost her two kits and HER OWN life in the er two days after she was due. I am not going to interrupt yet, I am going in the room in ten minutes. have a camera ready though! Wish me luck please...

Good luck, I hope everything is great and you get to witness the births!

0Ok well, took three or so pics. Mom is giving birth yay! So far one out, dont know sex. I dont touch until dry and fluffed. Feels like there MAY be one more but all I did was put my hands on her side and it coulda totally been baby rooting. These pics ARE a bit graphic, but feel they are more than appropriate for this site. I wish I would have been there for the whole thing. I have a flash that is NOT external, and it gets good pics for anyone interested in learning or seeing the process of chinchillas being born. Anyways, I mated her with a very nice standard, and of course baby is standard, maybe once I know the sex someone can help me with a name?

I will post more when mom dries baby off. if anyone thinks wants any pics about sexing or anything else let me know since I have a camera ready. I have checked her since, which is what has taken me so long to write this haha. . More pics of fluffball soon please keep in mind these are right before and after baby. baby had its head right by the canal for two weeks already I guess couldnt wait to get out. They are doing fine just her sitting on him warming him..

Attachments

• minuteoldkit.jpg
    minuteoldkit.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 105
  • mombefore.jpg
    mombefore.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 92
And it is a girl! She is pretty much almost dried off BUT mom is needing to get placenta out I think.. I can feel it in there and still bloody. I wonder what a normal timeframe is for them to expel that after the birth if it doesnt come out with it? Mom is wet, and when they are all dry, I will post pics. She is cute, she has little black spots on each finger and toe haha. I have no idea what to name her right now~

No point in having two threads going about the same thing, so these have been merged.

Good luck with the little one. I know my female discharged the placenta about an hour after delivering the kits.

Tunes thanks for doing that, I was wondering how or if I could delete one and put it together but didnt know how haha.

I guess my intuition kicked in. I got nervous, and then she popped. baby is so fluffy and nursing right now.. placenta keeps feeling smaller I think she is having it out in pieces. Sorry for only bloody pics, but that is the beginning of life right there doesnt get much more real than that! I let this mom keep her last daughter, which was her first litter, and I am going to let her keep this one too. She bonds great to them cos of her disposition, and then the first daughter I housed with a new baby I have who is about 8 weeks old a pw and they bonded great right out I am excited spring is always baby time haha~!

I hope mother and kit(s?) are okay.
Some felmales can carry babies up to 120 days, one of my own delivered kits after 113 days.

It i shard to gauge time as even if you see a mating doesn't mean that was the day they concieved. also 111 days is an estimate it is actually 111-120 days

I have had several go to the 120 day mark. Just more time for the kits to grow in mom! Don't be too worried.

Back