Milk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

i gave my cat a capful of milk. is that too much? By capful, i mean the cap off the milk jug. i read somewhere that cats can get indigestion from too much of it, but i was just giving my cat a teeny bit as a treat. Will that still be bad, or is a little bit ok?

I would not give any cat cows milk. If you feel you must give your cat milk as a treat I would buy the kitten milk replacer milk from the pet stores. But really, cats don't need milk and more often than not it'll give them diarrhea.

I was under the impression that adult cats are lactose intolerant. So giving milk to them isn't good for them since they can't digest it.

So, I'm sure there's healthier treats for your cat.

Right, milk is not good for cats or dogs. If you want to give her a milk type drink, there is a safe milk type mixture they sell at petstores. Use that instead, but never give a cat human milk. It's not good at all for them. [but i'm sure that little bit won't hurt her that you gave her, I don't want to see you worrying know, just don't give her anymore.]

Jean

I was under the impression that adult cats are lactose intolerant. So giving milk to them isn't good for them since they can't digest it.

Yes. KMR has lactose in it. I suppose if you had to, something like Lactaid... but there are tons of other treats out there that are better. Don't be surprised if there's some diarrhea tomorrow (though you may not get any from that amount of milk).

It depends on the cat, really, but you're safest just not giving it to her at all. Most cats are lactose intolerant; some aren't, but I usually go with "better safe than sorry" about food issues.

Better "people food" options: scrambled egg, plain oatmeal, low sodium deli meat (turkey, chicken, beef), or cat grass.

I had checked with the vet on goats milk, to care for some younger stray kittens, and goats milk is ok and they will drink it.

Thanks for that guys! My cat didn't drink too much anyways, so he didn't have diarrhea (sp). However, i'll remember not to give him any more. it's just, he eats the same treats, so i wanted to give him something else that would excite him. My intention was not to go giving him everything, just a bit of milk. So, that's a bad idea then. Thanks!

Grow some cat grass for him. It is oat grass seed. Don't buy the already growing pot from Petco it is way to expensive. I got a packet of seeds for like a buck at Homedepot. I was shocked at how much my cats liked it. I also let my boys talk me into growing a catnip plant. I haven't given them any yet though.

Right, milk is not good for cats or dogs. If you want to give her a milk type drink, there is a safe milk type mixture they sell at petstores. Use that instead, but never give a cat human milk. It's not good at all for them. [but i'm sure that little bit won't hurt her that you gave her, I don't want to see you worrying know, just don't give her anymore.]

Jean

Eww. :vomit: That reminds me of the time my dad (who is a commercial airline pilot) got called to the back of the plane he was flying by a stewardess (back in the pre-9/11 days); a lady passenger back there was breast-feeding her pet kitten. He put a stop to that right away, but was thoroughly grossed out for the rest of the flight.

I got a 4 inch pot of wheatgrass (I think it was) right in the grocery store produce section already grown for $1.99 The cats love it, I even give the chins 1 or 2 stalks

Oat grass is different from regular grass? Sorry, i don't mean to sound naive, but my cat eats the normal grass, and he just ends up barfing it back up later- somewhere convenient, like in my room. Haha. i've never heard of this oat grass stuff. Are cats supposed to actually digest it? My cat won't barf THAT, will he? He's got an iron digestive system, and he can eat anything... Not that i actually give him anything, of course...

Latest posts

Back