Mazuri or Oxbow?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Mazuri for roughly 10 years. My chins do fine on it. Over those 10 years, I've had a few chins, less than I can count on one hand, that developed loose poos from it. For having over 200+ chins pass through here, and only a few with issues, I'm happy with it. For the ones that don't do well on Mazuri, I buy Oxbow, but I couldn't afford to use Oxbow with all the chins/rescues.

I've used both and had no issues with either... except for the fact that my local Petsmart stopped carrying Mazuri and I've had to ship it in. :p

They are fresh

Hmmm ... Does anyone know if the actual Mazuri site sells fairly new bags? If they don't, then I will probably be ordering my food from one of you guys! Just like I said, trying to find the best and cheapest shipping wise for my area. I

I order from them and the bag they send me had less than a month of milled. Should be fine.

I'm kinda shocked chinchillas food lasts that long. My guinea pig could of gone through a 5-pound bag of food a week if I would of let him!

I guess it is because they eat so much hay, and then the pellets last them more.

I have decided to switch all of my chins from Mazuri to Oxbow. Today is day 1 and I only hand feed a few Oxbow pellets to kind of introducing it to them. They don't seem to be interested to the pellets but are more curious and excited about the packaging. lols. They either not taking it at all or take-bite-throw away. I compared the nutritional values of Mazuri and Oxbow, as well from a forum member here, that if your chinnies are older grown ups, they should get pellets that are high in fibre and lower proteins. Oxbow has Max fibre at 23% while Mazuri is at 18%.

My chins aren't interested in Oxbow so far, probably because it tastes too healthy. The same as in human food, healthy foods tend to be less yummy. :)

Back