Matted, thin fur around eye?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebbalish

I swear they're smarter t
I recently adopted this sweet girl along with her sister. Her sister looks fine but I've been worried about her right eye. The fur around it is matted and not soft. It also looks like it has an empty ring around it.

Her left eye is fine but I don't know what happened to her right one. Everything else seems normal. She's pretty active, curious and friendly. She eats her pellets and the hay. She's a bit clumsy; I don't know if it's just innate or because of her eye. I've also noticed that a few of her whiskers are crooked (but I think that's a non-issue.)

If anybody has any insight, please help! I'll be taking them to the vet in a few weeks when their carrier is delivered. I'm worried if this could be a sign of something more serious :S

Attachments

• IMG_4828.jpg
    IMG_4828.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4829.jpg
    IMG_4829.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
Take her to the vet and have her checked out. It looks like it could be either an irritation from dust, conjunctivitis, or a corneal abrasion. The vet will probably want to do an eye stain, listen to her breathing (to check for a potential URI) and possibly even check her teeth for signs of elongation or perhaps even get some xrays.

Okay thank you so much! Just made an appointment for the vet for this weekend :)

Back