Marc from NYC

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt

Hey everyone, I'm 20 years old and have a dog, pigeon and now my Chinchilla! Looking forward to the lifetime companion. I got the little guy last night from a friend that couldn't take care of it any longer, he's only 4 months old and I've been obsessed with him. I look forward to bonding with him and have been doing my research for hours on end. Looking forward to the advice! I scheduled a vet appointment next Monday (I'm worried about driving with him to soon and making him nervous). I live in Queens, New York, and they are illegal here, so I have to drive a bit !

I just want to make sure he's healthy and get an estimated age on him from a professional!

Welcome to the forum! If he's eating, drinking and pooping normally and not lethargic there really isn't a need to take him to the vet as that would just add more stress since you just got him. Also, unless you have his pedigree or know the breeder that bred him, there isn't a way of telling how old he is.

I live in Queens, New York, and they are illegal here,

I have never heard of chins being illegal there. Are you sure? I have know a lot of people from Queens that have chins and no one has ever mentioned this.

Welcome! So glad you found us! I just wanted to back up what Sandi said. If he's not showing any signs of illness the vet trip will just stress him out. No one, not a vet, breeder, petowner, etc... can tell you how old he is by just looking him over. The only way to know is to have the pedigree, or know the breeder who bred him. :)

Okay then, I won't bring him to the vet. Do you guys have any advice on feeding them? Should I leave the food bowls in 24/7?

I do. I put a few ounces in my chin's bowl and leave it in there, as well as water in her water bottle. I also have Timothy hay available at all times. Plenty of wood chews need to be available as well for their front teeth.

Back