Male Chinchilla Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleynicol3

I have a young male chinchilla. He is my first chinchilla, so please excuse my ignorance... When I checked on him earlier, he was in his house with his penis fully out & it looked like he was cleaning it. This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I'm a little confused, but I assume it's normal. Do they clean it to prevent hair rings? I know I was told that if I see him paying a lot of attention to that area, I should check him for a hair ring. I guess it's a good thing I saw him do it because I had a pretty clear view & I didn't see any indication of a hair ring.

Also, should I be doing anything else to groom him other than providing a dust bath regularly? He has some loose pieces of fur sometimes that stick out from the rest & I thought it might be nice to comb his fur. Wasn't sure if I should be doing that or if it's optional. I don't plan on showing him or anything.

That sounds totally normal, and they do clean themselves. If you want to comb your chin just use a fine tooth dog comb since you don't plan on showing.

Some chinchillas clean themselves more zealously than others. Some like to do it for pleasure too and it is often a part of the teenage stage to see them doing it a lot. I also have a boy who will mount my arm but we try to redirect him to a cuddle buddy that was made especially for chinchillas. It's all perfectly normal.

Good to know! He has a cuddle buddy, but he doesn't pay much attention to it. He's about 12 weeks old now, so maybe it will provide him some comfort when he reaches his teen stage! Thanks!

Very cute! Boys do clean themselves. Unless he's doing it a lot or having any issues I wouldn't worry. I don't usually start hair ring checks till they are 6ish months old.

Some chinchillas clean themselves more zealously than others. Some like to do it for pleasure too and it is often a part of the teenage stage to see them doing it a lot. I also have a boy who will mount my arm but we try to redirect him to a cuddle buddy that was made especially for chinchillas. It's all perfectly normal.

I find that interesting. I have two males, father and son. The father i took in, was of unknown age, but was passed around a lot. He was also fully grown when i got him. Ive had him almost 6 years or so now. So his real age is probably at least 7-8+ maybe. He cleans himself fairly often. - Where as his son, who is turning 3 this year, i have never seen do it even once.

Some chins are more private about their cleaning sessions than others. I have 4 boys and have only caught one cleaning a couple times.

I find that interesting. I have two males, father and son. The father i took in, was of unknown age, but was passed around a lot. He was also fully grown when i got him. Ive had him almost 6 years or so now. So his real age is probably at least 7-8+ maybe. He cleans himself fairly often. - Where as his son, who is turning 3 this year, i have never seen do it even once.

Oscar is five years old and our oldest. It's been years since we got Jackie so it's weird that about four or five months ago he started trying to hump everything outside the cage. We now redirect him to a cuddle buddy and it works. He's slowed down some and doesn't always come out each night. He's kind of a grouch.

Also he was sort of passed around too. We are his third home but he was at the breeder's twice. He was sold around four months and returned at one. He went to a much smaller cage on his return and was shown. Since coming to us he has had a big cage, his beloved wheel and more attention than at his first home.

Well I guess I have some perverted chinnie boys.They all clean themselves whenever they want,usually when visitors ask to see a chinchilla! What's most hilarious is that I have caught Roo,Woozle and Piglet sound asleep with their man bits still in their mouths!!!

Back