Male Chin behavior?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglersarah

Chewy, ZuZu & Recess
I have noticed one of my male chins (housed by himself) will occasionally suck on his penis. I have read that tends to be normal. When they do this can they actually masturbate? Is there a way to stop this? I have found some hard crusty stuff on his fleece pillow, liners and even on the shelves. Not a lot but has been going on a bout 2 weeks that I will find new crusties on things. Any ideas or suggestions....or is this normal?

FYI - no females around - two brothers are housed in a cage next to him.

Why would you want to stop it?? - one of the two reasons they do it is to clean the penis of hair. Besides they are animals. Stop trying to humanize them - it is natural for animals to do those things.

Thank you for the info... I feel better knowing it's normal. The only reason I would want to stop it is because the crusty residue is difficult to get off the fleece, and wooden shelves. If this is normal I won't worry about it. Thank you again!

a male chin's 'crusty leavings' are easy to get off fleece - just pre-soak the fleece in hot water with a bit of laundry soap before laundering. my Rhino is constantly 'crusty-ing up' a stuffed animal i put out during play time, lol, and it comes out perfectly clean with the pre-soak.

as for the wood, just sand it down.

Latest posts

Back