loud whining!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
Did anyone ever had a chinchilla that was letting out a loud whine?? I was sleeping when I heard a loud whine from him...I thought I was maybe imagining things, but today, while I was on my computer and he was sleeping, he let out yet another loud whine...a big complaint that looked like the "dont-hurt-me" first sound, but louder...
http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/bedr_e.htm

and well I don't think it's normal, I fear he may be in pain, I checked his front teeth and there doesn't seem to have any problem related to it...they seem correct-sized and also the correct colour....he drinks and eats fine, though I gotta buy another brand of hay, the one I bought doesn't smell fresh...Gotta find Oxbow.

I didn't wait for people in the forum to answer and took an appointment to the vet. I've never seen this vet in my entire life and well I would like to make sure I ask for all the proper questions. I'll be going there in about an hour to make sure I get there in time.

Are you sure he isn't just looking for attention. I have one chin that does this. He squeels really loud when no one is in the room and he wants someone to come in. Usually this is accompanied by banging and jumping around in the cage. The first few times he did it, I rushed in there, just to find him standing with his paws on the bars, looking for a scritch. Yeah, I know, what a stinker!

Are you sure he isn't just looking for attention. I have one chin that does this. He squeels really loud when no one is in the room and he wants someone to come in. Usually this is accompanied by banging and jumping around in the cage. The first few times he did it, I rushed in there, just to find him standing with his paws on the bars, looking for a scritch. Yeah, I know, what a stinker!

Well he seemed to be sleeping... And usually when he wants attention he doesn't do that noise hehe!

So the surroundings around this situation are :
- For three days now he has been chewing on his wooden shelves once in a while
- I give him usually one or two applestick branches per day
- He has Mazuri pellets AND thimoty hay (hay all the time)
- He has an unsweetened cheerios once or twice a week
- Yesterday he has been lying on his belly, legs spread, eyes half open. When I went to check up on him he sat back up and seemed fine. *see picture taken*

I'm back from the vet, she said his eyes and ears looked fine, his appetite was good (she put some hay in his cage and he jumped on it) but that he seemed to have some gas built up.

My vet said that seeing him taking a piece of the aspen shavings he has at the bottom of his cage and eating it wasn't a good idea...She also told me I should completely stop the applestick branches?? o_o...And she said he was probably whining today and lying down on his belly yesterday because he had cramps, difficulties to digest something. She guessed it was the wood. So she gave me a laxative pasta...it's "Hairball preparation" from "Vetoquinol" to give him once a week to help him digest. And also I will be switching over the month from Mazuri to "Oxbow chinchilla deluxe", he will now receive Oxbow thimoty hay as they carry it, and she said I should use "Oxbow Eco-Straw Litter" instead of Aspen wood shavings for the bottom of his cage since he seems to eat his shavings.

What do you guys say? I thought I could give him applestick branches...o_o

Well, ibviously, I am not a vet but much of that doesn't sound right to me. The wood, as long as it was prepared properly, shouldn't be causing any problems for him, neither should the bedding. The gas is concerning because it could be the beginnings of bloat, which is often fatal. I have no experience with bloat though, so I am not sure how it is treated. Maybe another member can give you info on that one.

My other concern would be his teeth. Did the vet check his back teeth?
I usually recommend limiting the pellets to specific amount per day, 2tbsp twice per day is the usual recommendation. The reason is that when chins chew hay they move their teeth back and forth, like cows, so they grind their teeth down. When they eat pellets they move their jaws up and down, like a dog eats, so their teeth are not grinding together properly. Dental problems can develop if the chin chooses more pellets over hay, and doesn't spend enough time grinding his teeth down.

I have not heard of anyone giving a hairball treatment to chinchillas.

The wood, as long as it was prepared properly, shouldn't be causing any problems for him, neither should the bedding. The gas is concerning because it could be the beginnings of bloat, which is often fatal.

My other concern would be his teeth. Did the vet check his back teeth?

I have not heard of anyone giving a hairball treatment to chinchillas.

Well I have read about gas too, which is why I'm asking the forum people their opinion, she said it shouldn't be a problem since he eats correctly... and if I can keep the wooden beddings it'll be fine with me since it's easier to find and cheaper. (don't mind money, but paying extra for no reason is not very fun)

And yes, the vet checked his back teeth (Kahlua didn't like it much) right in front of me, and she said they were well aligned and in good condition, no problem.

So until I hear anyone telling me about that laxative pasta, I won't give it to him right now. Hay is often the best medication, and in doubt I'd rather not give it right away.

Some chins just make a lot of noise. I have a few that make loud squeaks, squawks and barks for no reason just to get me to run over. Unless this chin is making the noise constantly, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You may just have a very vocal chinchilla.

Why is the vet giving you a laxative? Was the chin bloated in some way? Did the vet mention the use of simethicone? That may be a better option than a laxative or hairball expectorant for what is wrong with the chin, if there is something wrong with the chin.

A lot of what the vet says sounds bizarre, almost like rabbit advice. I don't know... The hairball expectorant may not do much to help this chinchilla. I wouldn't worry about the chin chewing on shavings either. I've never had a chin have a health problem from nibbling on shavings.

You may just have a very vocal chinchilla.

Why is the vet giving you a laxative? Was the chin bloated in some way? Did the vet mention the use of simethicone? That may be a better option than a laxative or hairball expectorant for what is wrong with the chin, if there is something wrong with the chin.

A lot of what the vet says sounds bizarre, almost like rabbit advice. I don't know... The hairball expectorant may not do much to help this chinchilla.

Well I may try another vet if this one sounds like she gives weird advices... but she gave me the laxative because Kahlua seemed like he had a bit of gas when she was....err...rubbing his belly? I don't know how to explain it in english...she was touching his belly to check his intestines methinks. That's where she noticed the gas.

oh and here are pics of how he was sleeping yesterday (his furr on his head looks messed up) :

sleep_01.jpg

sleep_02.jpg

You should probably get some simethicone then. It will help dissipate the gas better. A laxative can cause problems because it can cause a lot of cramping since it will affect the way muscles contract.

They sell anti-gas drops for infants, but also sell it in gelcap form for adults. Down here they sell Mylacon for infants and Phazyme for adults. I like the Phazyme gelcaps because I only have to give the chin one drop and it will help clear up the gas.

Of course, sometimes chins sleep on their sides and stretch out a bit more than usual. You can usually tell if a chin has gas by the way the belly feels. It will feel tight, the chin may also have an abnormal respiration rate because it is difficult to breathe normally since their bellies are achy from the gas pressure.

He looks sick to me. He has that look in his eyes. And I think the noise is probably from he being in pain. I would get him to a different vet right now, and get him motility drugs and fluids. He needs Reglan and Propulsid or similar drugs.

I agree, the gas needs to be treated and the gut motility needs to be gotten back to normal.

If he were here, I'd treat it with phazyme and life line along with a good probiotic. Most of the time I will put an entire capsule of probiotic in with the mixture and that helps tremendously. Getting the gut flora back into balance is absolutely necessary.

Another thing that can help a bit is using something like Albon. It would help not necessarily because it would be used as an antibiotic but it also seems to soothe inflammation in the intestines.

alright, I won't use that cat laxative thing...(I'll give it to a friend who has a cat) and I'll give him probiotics cause I got them right now.

Here's a picture of his chatting face (since I came back from work 15 minutes ago he hasn't stopped chatting cause I didnt pay enough attention to him) I also put the pictures smaller cause the other ones seemed a bit big...
now-01.jpg

now-02.jpg

now-03.jpg

Also well I can't go buy anything else right now, it's 2:40am...but I'll go see tomorrow. He's onto a buttload of hay right now and gorging himself with it! He did not like that other brand....but the Oxbow he loves. I think it's a good sign. I'll check the other vet in Quebec city that we have tomorrow for another appointment.

Phazyme...erhm is it available at pharmacies? Or natural stuff places? Or at the vet?
Also should I wait before that is solved before starting the 1 month switch from Mazuri to Oxbow pellets?

Have you seen him playing or running on his wheel (if he has one) at all? My one chin makes weird sounds every now and then including a shreik like you would think he was being murdered. You dont want to stress him out if nothings wrong. The whole trip to the vets and critical care feedings can get very stressful. He looked pretty alert to me in your second pictures. Any changes in his droppings? How often is this noise going on?

Have you seen him playing or running on his wheel (if he has one) at all? My one chin makes weird sounds every now and then including a shreik like you would think he was being murdered. You dont want to stress him out if nothings wrong. The whole trip to the vets and critical care feedings can get very stressful. He looked pretty alert to me in your second pictures. Any changes in his droppings? How often is this noise going on?

That scream like he had been murdered wasn't the sound he made yesterday...It was more like crying. Like baby chins sounds when they're defenseless. And the sound he did yesterday, I haven't heard it at all today. And he did it (to my knowledge) twice yesterday. I would say around 9am and around 11h30am. But I haven't heard him make that sound in 3 years and that's what worried me.

I did not hear him again after that, I went to work from 5h30pm to 2am and when I came back, well he did like usual, he was a whiny monster cause he wanted my attention, then when I closed the lights to go to bed (after giving him the attention and food of course) he was rolling in his wheel. He has a saucer wheel and he's been jumping and running around. Right now he's sleeping normally, not with his legs spread out like the first pics I posted.

He did not get critical care yet since he eats normally, and his droppings look fine. Though a tad bit smaller than usual. He still makes (and flinges) them all over the place, he doesn't seem to have less droppings than usual in his cage. And they're the regular shape, just maybe a bit smaller. He drinks his water too.

And ABBY W, I will wait until everything is okay before switching food.

And everyone, I still took another appointment to another vet...though she can't take him in before tomorrow as she's in emergency surgery all day today...

Last edited:
IMO he seems like hes fine. I understand your caution, but if I were you I wouldnt switch up anything on him right now. Esp. if theres no change in his activity or eating and drinking. My chins get a little constipated every now and then. This is the only time I will give them 1 raisen. Before you speand a ton of money and more stressful trips to the vet, id wait and see if he makes this noise again. If it isnt constant, I doubt its anything. Could just be another noise he makes. If anything to keep his tummy settled buy acidophilus and charcoal in the capsuls and sprinkle it over his food.

well I think I will still have to check if that other vet seems to be a better vet than the first one I saw...Many people seemed to think the one I saw didn't seem to give me good advices.

And I said I had acidophilus but I lied, I thought that was it but I have probiotics, not acidophilus. I'll go see the local pharmacy to check if they have charcoal or acidophilus...They probably will have it, but if you guys have brands you know are good, I'll look for them.

I'll also check and make sure he keeps on doing well, being active and eating and drinking. Also I'll stay on the lookout for that crying sound he did.

Thanks! =)

Probiotics are pretty much the same as acidophilus...they may contain different strains of acidophilus or other types of beneficial bacteria. Most probiotics are formulated with bacteria that perform certain functions (fixes to the digestive system bacterial balance.) One type may be helpful for diarrhea, another will help with gas or constipation more. Any of the types will be beneficial and help the chin regain normal gut motility. Acidophilus is just one of the types of probiotic.

Well said AZ. Theres a a lot of stuff that will help his stomach.

http://chocolatechinchillas.com/_wsn/page6.html

Life line contains a bunch of probiotics and such. I like to keep this on hand always. Theres other stuff like dehydrated basil, dried oregano , bee pollen thats are good for chins. You may want to look in to this stuff just to have it incase you need it.

ouuh awesome!

I emailed the person that has the lifeline requesting for the price it'll cost me to get it shipped in Canada (it's extra shipping when outside the US) and I will get some. Thanks everyone! I'll stick to the probiotics meanwhile!

Yes they do say to use simethicone baby infant drops every few hours for gas, and also massage their bellies, that also helps with the gas. I also have always heard even in here that apple sticks are safe, again as long as they are prepared correctly, there is a safe wood list and unsafe wood list and apple wood is on the safe list. So personally, unless again you don't know if it was prepared right, I wouldn't think that did it.

And with the aspen shavings, that is also a good safe bedding for them.

I'm not second guessing chinniechantel with what she said about she looks sick because I would never do that and she's usually always right on the ball, but I just wanted to say, here are some pictures of chin-chin laying on his side, and if you didn't know better, one would think he wasn't doing good, but this is how he always lays. There's also a picture of him in his hut, and again if you didn't know better, I would even say he doesn't look good, but he is healthy and that's just a look he has on his face sometimes. LMAO And there are times when He is on his side, and his head is leaning on the side of the cage with those same eyes and he does look like he doesn't feel good, but again, that is just how he lays [pictures below]. Like someone else asked, is he acting normal in every other aspect--eating, playing, on his wheel if he has one..etc. If he is, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Alot of times during the night I'll hear a loud cry from one of my chinchillas, I jump out of bed because I think "someone is hurt--oh no" and when I go in their room, they just look at me as if they are saying "what do you want, we want our privacy back..." lol. So did maybe one fall and just let out a cry, or is it just someone is looking for attention?? I have no clue. But I never see anyone hurt at all. But that is me. Not saying there isn't anything wrong with yours, just addressing some of the issues that I go through that you mentioned, but with mine nothing is wrong.

I do hope is okay, keep us posted.

Sorry for rambling so much.
Jean

Chin-2.jpg

chin2.jpg

chin1.jpg

Back