Looking for some advice. (:

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayofhope

I've been a pretty horrible chinchilla owner for a while now. :S And I want to change that, so I need some advice.

Problem 1: My chin's fur is pretty badly chewed. On both sides. I've read that this is most likely due to being bored. So, that said, does this mean if she has better playtimes (or longer?) then her fur will grow back and she'll stop chewing it?

Random but not technically a problem because I don't feed this: I know she's not supposed to be fed raisins. I just find it strange that so many websites I've seen say they love them as treats. :S Such as this one: http://home.comcast.net/~jaxchinchillas/ChinchillaCare.html

Problem 2: What am I supposed to do while she's in playtime? I typically let her out in my bathroom, where her cage is. (This will change in a few months, but for now, that's how it's been.) During this time, she spends a lot of time in her cage just chilling. She does come out, but she's not particularly energetic? She does jump around and such, but only for maybe 1/5 of the time. Is this normal? Am I supposed to interact with her? Like talk to her/try to hold her/ leave her alone/what?

Problem 3: What can I do to make it so she's happier and healthier overall?

I have not been feeding her quality food, but I will be changing this.
PS- is it okay to have my puppy with me while she's playing, if I'm being careful to just hold the puppy and she's not bothering the chin?

Thank you for the help!

Problem 1: My chin's fur is pretty badly chewed. On both sides. I've read that this is most likely due to being bored. So, that said, does this mean if she has better playtimes (or longer?) then her fur will grow back and she'll stop chewing it?

Fur chewing is mostly considered genetic, although some will say that it can be environmental. Generally speaking though, once your chin starts chewing, she will continue to chew.

Random but not technically a problem because I don't feed this: I know she's not supposed to be fed raisins. I just find it strange that so many websites I've seen say they love them as treats. :S Such as this one: http://home.comcast.net/~jaxchinchil...hillaCare.html

Sure they do. That's because if you offer a child a piece of steamed broccoli or a candy bar, they will choose a candy bar. Raisins are like handing your chin a pile of sugar.

Problem 2: What am I supposed to do while she's in playtime? I typically let her out in my bathroom, where her cage is. (This will change in a few months, but for now, that's how it's been.) During this time, she spends a lot of time in her cage just chilling. She does come out, but she's not particularly energetic? She does jump around and such, but only for maybe 1/5 of the time. Is this normal? Am I supposed to interact with her? Like talk to her/try to hold her/ leave her alone/what?

If your bathroom is chin safe, then I would remove her from the cage, shut the door, and sit on the floor with her. She will interact with you eventually, even if it's just to use you as a jungle gym.

Problem 3: What can I do to make it so she's happier and healthier overall?

Good quality food. Good quality hay. Filtered or reverse osmosis water. Wood chews to keep her teeth worn down to a healthy level. Keep her cage clean, interact with her, make sure you have a good vet on call if necessary.

PS- is it okay to have my puppy with me while she's playing, if I'm being careful to just hold the puppy and she's not bothering the chin?

It is not recommended to have other animals around when you allow your chin playtime, even if you are holding him. Should he decide to snap at the chin, or should he jump out of your arms and land on your chin, that's all it would take to seriously injure or even kill her.

Chins get tooth decay just like humans, since we cannot brush the teeth every night you don't feed them sugar to prevent the problem.

as stated fur chewing is usually genetic but can also be from stress or boredom. offer more wood chews and other chew items to keep your chin busy. you dont have to spend a ton. do a search and you will find some basic items, some of which can be prepared safely at home.

raisins = tooth decay & gi irritation

during playtime you should either sit and let your chin explore you and the chin safe room or provide some cardboard boxes or small plastic tunnels for them to run thru. i keep my dustbath in my play area and let them dust during playtime. they really just want to run and jump and wall surf. but not too long on in a room too hot or they can overheat.
and don t leave her alone, even if in a safe room. i put my guys in a playpet a few feet behind me when i clean their cages. it isnt huge but it has boxes and pvc pipes and a nice wood chew and their dust bath. they get to run around and i get to clean their cage.

to keep your chin happy i would say as tunes said...good quality pellets, lots of nice hay preferably a variety and clean filtered water. plus safely prepared wood chews to help keep thier teeth in top shape.
also dusting several times a week.

also moving out of the bathroom as soon as you can as it can get very humid and warm in a bathroom. the humidity can affect her fur and if you are not dusting often enough not only is she chewing her fur but it can get matted.

The fact that you recognize that you need to care better for your chin is a huge step.
just love her and pay attention to her and take care of her and she will love you back long time ;)

and do not let her play with your puppy or any other pet.

When I rescued one of my chins, Ziggy, he was chewing his fur pretty good.. There were a few things that contributed to it, but he had no wood or toys in the cage when we went to pick him up. Once he settled in with us (and has been spoiled rotten since), he has not once started to chew again. I do have another fur chewer, Dexter, who is spoiled like all my boys are, and he still chews. So he is a genetic case for sure, and will probably never let his fur grow completely out.

Kudos to you for recognizing that things could be better for the chin and taking the steps to correct mistakes. Good luck.

Thanks everyone, that clears things up.

The bathroom she is in is rarely if ever used, so the humidity isn't too much of a problem.

The puppy won't harm her. She's small, but I'll probably put her in a kennel when she's with me. She needs to be trained for that, anyway. Would keeping the puppy in her kennel be acceptable?

And this might seem stingy, but what's the cheapest pellets that are considered quality food?

You don't want to stint on food or you could potentially face a lot of problems down the road.

All of the top quality foods are fairly similar in price, except for Oxbow. Oxbow is quite high, but Tradition, Nutrena, Purina, Mazuri - those are all pretty much in the same ballpark.

Music :)

I a pretty new chinchilla slave, but you might also want to put a little radio in her room and leave it on for her. When I play music during play time they run and jump around more than when its just quiet. Talking to her gently or even singing to her might be good too.

Sometimes, I leave music on quietly for them over night so they can enjoy it when they are at their most active. I've also heard that chins like to watch television! So, maybe when you move her you can put her somewhere where she can watch her favorite soaps. :p

I think kenneling your puppy while she is out and about is a good idea. The chin can relax and bond with you and the puppy can learn to be happy in her kennel.

Does she have ledges in her cage? Mine really love the lava ledges. They are a bit spendy (like, $8) but they are great because they can leap on them AND chew on them.

Have fun with your chin!

LU :)

Sometimes, I leave music on quietly for them over night so they can enjoy it when they are at their most active. I've also heard that chins like to watch television! So, maybe when you move her you can put her somewhere where she can watch her favorite soaps. :p

LU :)

I can attest to this! I've had my chinchillas about a month and a half, tops, and they looove to watch tv. They'll go to the corner of their cage that's nearest the tv, and just sit, mesmerized. :laughitup:

Also, in regards to wood chews, Twilight Chinchillas (on this forum) makes awesome chew toys for a very affordable price.

Good luck!

A quality chinchilla feed is usually cheaper than the junk you buy in petstores. You can find a 25 lb bag of quality chin food at a feed store for less than $20 usually. I bought a 50 lb bag of Purina Rabbit Show Chow for ~$18 at the feed store and I'm donating half of it to the local SPCA since I won't be using all of it within the 6 month period since I only have 4 chinnies. :))

"Sometimes, I leave music on quietly for them over night so they can enjoy it when they are at their most active. I've also heard that chins like to watch television! So, maybe when you move her you can put her somewhere where she can watch her favorite soaps. :p"

I too can totally attest to this. I use TV as enrichment for my girls and it's really funny how they actually seem to watch it. It might be the moving objects or bright colors, but they both seem entranced. My one girl also loves when the piano is played. She'll come over to the side of the cage closest to the piano, and just sit and watch and listen. Switching furniture inside their cage around helps with keeping things new and different. Rotating toys helps keep things novel too.

Kenneling your puppy seems like a good solution; I would just give the pup something to do while he's in there. Use a special toy, bone, or kong stuffed with food and peanut butter. This way he's focused on that and not on driving himself nuts trying to get out and at you and the chinchilla (and possibly scaring the chin if he's kenneled nearby).

Welcome to this site! You'll fine a ton of great information that will help keep your chin healthy and happy!

Okay, I found a place I can get good quality food. :)

I tried the music advice, and she does seem to be more relaxed with it on. I'll figure out if she's a TV fan later, that should be interesting, lol! And I'll definitely look into the lava ledges.

I tried the kenneling the puppy thing last night, and it worked out well. Plus, it'll be great practice for her.

Also, I just heard about fleece liners. Do you have to make them, or is it possible to just use a fleece blanket?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Back