litterboxes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chins1222

ok well i know i am not supposed to use any plastic

but i have been looking at some of the cage pictures and noticed some people were using the plastic ones and was wondering if it is ok to use a plastic litter box?

i am wanting to do fleece liners and have a litter box for them to pee in(if they will even use it lol) but i know they will stick their little butts up against the side and poop out if i dont have one with a back

so i was wondering if it is ok to use one? and remove it immediatly at any signs of chewing?

if not is there anywhere i can get a metal litter box?

i havent been able to find any

thanks

i personally use a plastic one...and they don't seem to be chewing on them =/ i guess they prefer their pretty chew toys instead =D

i'm sure you can just go to a supermarket and get a brownie pan or something of the sort, it's practically the same thing...as long as they have a place to pee in right?

A lot of people use the small glass Pyrex dishes or metal cake pans for litter pans and they work fantastic. And you don't have to worry about chewing that way either. :D If your chins don't chew plastic, it's ok to use plastic...but some people don't because there's always that chewing possibility.

well my main concern is that the back/corner is not high enough and they might pee ou of it

hmm i will try the plastic litter box and if they mess with it i will just try to get a glass one

that is id they can figure it out lol

I used a plastic litter box for several months before Tink started chewing on hers. I then threw it out and use a large metal container - it's rounded but you can use square to fit in corners, and she uses it just fine. It is extra big so she has plenty of room to go without missing.

the golden rule is usually if your chins dont show any interest in chewing on it, it is fine. You just have to be around to watch for the first few days to be sure... if you notice they develop a chewing interest I would remove it

When peeing, your chin shouldn't be peeing outside the cage. They might spray pee outside the cage, but that isn't when they're going to the bathroom.

Personally I use glass baking dishes.

never mind after about 10 minutes they started chewing it lol

so i have a glass baking dish in there insted i hope they can figure it out

thanks

Back