Litter Training a Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

I had to ask.. is it possible to litter train a chin? You know, with one of those boxes and you fill it with bedding (as opposed to the rest of her cage which is fleece) and you put it in a corner of their cage. Has this worked for anyone? My girl poops everywhere but tends to pee in a certain corner. Can the machine gun poops be contained? :rofl: I know that's a longshot but I was wondering if anyone had any success.

Poops cannot be contained. It is not a controlled action in chins. Some can be pan trained for peeing, and for that you put a pan of clean litter with a little soiled litter (since they pee in their familiar spots).

We've had a few that will potty train for pee, but no, they can't be potty trained to poo in one area. It'd be nice, but it's not happening.

I've been potty training my chins to pee in a specific place, just to keep the cage fresher.

My boy took to it almost at once, and I have not seen him pee elsewhere since I introduced the system.

My girl has been learning, but every now and then she'll just pee in another spot she happens to like. I had heard that girls can be harder to potty train, and this has proven true in my case.

Chins have no control over where or when they poo, so that's impossible to train.

I litter trained for pee, it makes his cage smell a whole lot better. I figured out where he was peeing in the cage and then put the litter pail with some bedding in that spot, and he's never peed anywhere else (I don't think). He was spraying on the wall for a while, but hasn't since I got the pail.

Thanks for the responses :) I have trained Lilo to use her litter pan for pee successfully (yay!) which has been really helpful with cleaning. I only have to vacuum the fleece as opposed to constantly washing it. I do still wash it, just not as often.

Back