litter box training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmitchell

Hello! I am new here and also to chin ownership, I currently have 1 13 week old chin and am getting a second on Monday that will be around the same age. Both females. My question is, do chins require training when learning to use a litter box or do they just pick it up on their own? I put a shoe box in my chins cage with some care free bedding and she seems to pee in there fairly exclusively, but poops basically everywhere. Any ideas are very appreciated! :)

You can only train them to pee in a litter pan, they have little control over the poop. My boys took to peeing in a litter pan right away, some take a while to get the hang of it. I would recommend getting a glass dish and using KD pine or aspen shavings. The carefresh expands when it gets wet and can get stuck in intestines if they were to ingest it.

Agree with the above. When you get a suitable litter dish, you can use some shavings to soak up urine and mix into the clean shavings so they recognize their urine smell. That typically speeds ul the training process...just know that some never get it and pee wherever their bladder lets go :hair:

Hi,

I agree, I'd recommend using KD Pine or Aspen shavings.

I got my boys on Monday, they have a litter box in their cage but I'm unsure if they're using it. I need to clean out their cage but I don't wanna scare them when I pull the trays out. I also need to see where they've pee'd and put those shavings in the litter box to encourage them to use it (I have shavings as bedding, so they're probably peeing everywhere.

Allie x

Yes, the main reason for me for litter training is to cut down on wood shavings being composted. figure I save more than 75% by having them trained to go in a specific spot.

Back