Let the chinchilla have play time when she first got home. ..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
But I was reading a lot more than usual and I noticed that breeders suggested that I don't take her out for play time for a while? If so, now that I've taken her out for play time twice since I've gotten her. I've only had her for 2 days. . .is there going to be mental damage? what should I be doing now? This is my first chinchilla so I'm a little confused.

She seems to be warming up to me well. She lets me scratch her head and neck. Seems like she's enjoying it. When I pick her up, she doesn't squirm too much. She's sprayed me twice, so I gave her her space.

How long should I wait to take her out? How should I start bonding with her better?

HELP!:wacko:

I always suggest spending at least 2 weeks letting them get used to their environment. You can still start bonding during that time by sitting by the cage and talking to her, reading aloud, etc.

After a week or so, you can start putting your hand in her cage to give her a rosehip or safe treat.

There won't be mental damage, but it could be hard to catch her since she hasn't truly settled into her new home in only 2 days, and you are a complete stranger. Her spraying is evidence of that.

I would do as Laura suggested and just give her a little time to settle in. Let her adjust to all the new sights, sounds, and smells, then after a week or 2, start run time again.

Congrats on the new addition. :)

it could be hard to catch her since she hasn't truly settled into her new home in only 2 days, and you are a complete stranger. Her spraying is evidence of that.

Atleast thats logical. My one girl liked to chew parts off my wall and try to eat them. And you made any effort to try to stop her, or get a peice away from here, she would spay like crazy.

How old is she? Chinchillas shouldn't have any playtime until they're 6 months old. So if she's younger than that, you should wait to give her playtime.

I definitely agree. Put her in the cage and let her get used to everything from a place she knows is safe for her. I always tell people that they need to give the chins at least a week in the cage. This isn't for the prevention of mental damage - chins can and do stress themselves so much that they can die.

One of the worst things to do is take a scared chin to a new home and let it out to run in a brand new environment and then try to catch it to put it back. Years ago I had a customer decide that I was wrong about this. He let the chin out to run when he got home for hours and he caught her and put her back in her cage. She was dead by 5 am the next morning.

There is a lot of problems that can be caused by prematurely letting the chin out and then by the ensuing chase to get the chin back in the cage. You run the risk of losing the trust of that animal completely and it is difficult to regain it. The chinchilla can end up being frightened of its new home - this is very bad because it will impact the personality of the chin.

We got 2 baby chins on the 15th (8 and 11 weeks) and let them have play time both the 16th and 17th. One is dealing well, the other - not so much. It was hard to capture them to get back in the cage. The scared one is only happy in her cage with the door shut, and preferably without us near.
The issue is cage cleaning. We have a bottom tray at pulls out. We HAVE to take them out to clean it. Otherwise they would fall through to the floor.
I guess we could try cleaning without taking the tray out - but couldn't wash it down for sure.
Just checking how definitive you are about not taking them out at all. Seems like the capturing is very stressful for the one - she doesn't want to get in the dust house or we thought we could that while we cleaned.
Thanks for any advice.

8 and 11 week old kits should not have playtime at all. You can place them in a cat carrier while you clean their cage. Also, are you sure you have 2 of the same gender kits?

Hello everyone. I have bonded with her a good month before I bought her, which was good. I was told that he is almost a year old. I bought her from the pet store. I have found a new way to move her from her cage to play time though. I just lure her into her wooden house and then I carry her to the run around room. I just put the house down and she jumps out. When play time is over, I lure her back in and take her back. . .and she jumps back into the cage. Is this okay? She seems very comfortable with this.. Owning a chinchilla has me wondering so many questions.

Another weird thing my chinchilla does . . .or has been doing has me really puzzled. She'll just sit there.. .totally still. Like frozen. For . . .a really really long time. She's doing it right now. I can go right up to the cage and even pet her and she doesn't move. What does this mean?

Back