Learning to Hold My Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganing

New Chinchilla Owner
So I've had mine for about a year now, he's gotten comfortable with me petting him on his head, his back, and under his chin, but holding he still seems uncomfortable with. Also I don't know really how to approach this. I absolutely adore him, but I worry cause what if something happens and he gets out? I'd need a way to get him in his cage. I don't want to just rely on hoping he gets in his dust bath either. Can anybody give me any tips on how to approach handling my chinchilla?

With my chin I bribed him. I would break a treat up in parts (an 1/8 of a cherrio or so) and make him come further onto my hand, arm, shoulder to get the next peice. That helped him get more comfortable with me holding him, but he's not thrilled with being held. Most chins aren't. We still work on it all the time and he sometimes half-heartedly tries to get away but he's resigned to the fact that he gets held at time. It's good you recognize the need to get your chin to tolerate being held-especially if an emergency comes up.

Neither of my chins will let me hold them. My male perches on my hand or arm, jumps to my shoulder and will sit there while I pet him for 10 to 15 min. That is the only way I can pet him outside of his cage. Both of my chins will go back in their cage on their own. If not then the dust bath always gets them.

Back