Lava Ledges.. Toxic?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josie121

Are lava ledges safe (found through amazon)? I have been steering away from them because of the colorful coating which I worry is toxic. But when I rescued my first chin she came with one and LOVED it. I am upgrading my chins habitat now and want to know whats best for ledges!! I know wood is best, but PetSmart only cares the lava ledges, is it okay to supply a few of these?

They are perfectly fine, but don't count on them to last very long to use as ledges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANK YOU for the help with the ledges! One last question... are living world nibblers okay?! Again, I am hesitating because of the dye in the wood.

Attachments

• nimmblers.jpg
    nimmblers.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14
My nugget Lil has 5 wooden huts that she loves to gnaw on, and I spoil her with other toys, so I think the lava ledges will last awhile. I removed the ramps from my Ferret Nation cage and use ledges instead which is safer and more enjoyable for her! So I just ordered a Midwest Critter Nation cage and want to do the same thing! Thank you for ensuring their safety!

Again, any input on the nibblers would be appreciated! I received them as a christmas gift this year and she LOVED them, but I want to make sure they are healthy for her before buying them consistently.

The dye used on any of the critter items sold commercially that are intended to be chewed is going to be safe. Most commonly they use vegetable based food coloring. The worst that happens with some dye used is it runs when wet (peed on or water bottle drips), so it can stain (harmlessly) your chin temporarily.

As said with the lava ledges some chins chew though them quickly so they are more a chew toy then a functional permanent ledge. My guys like to leave the ledges alone for sometimes months, then decide one night they need to be demolished, lol. The triangle lava bites are a hit too, I use them in hanging toys.
You should check out the vendors on here, you can get all kinds of ledges, perches, sticks and toys for much cheaper then in a pet store. As an added bonus you can feel secure that they are all chin safe stuff as most sellers use what they sell for their own personal chins.

As mentioned above: lava ledges are lovely chew toys! But if you want a ledge that won't be demolished like magic, go with the wood ledges. The vendors here are awesome and you can find some amazing deals!

Alternatively, you can head to the how-to section and start making your own. :)

Just FYI it has to do with chewing preference rather then chewing surfaces. Your chinchilla could have hundreds of chew toys and one lava ledge and still devour the ledge and ignore all the others. I'm just saying this as food for thought, because they are expensive chew toys that would get even more expensive as your chinchilla munches on them.

One of my chins loves anything lava, chews a little on the wood. Lava ledges and blocks get devoured.

Lava ledges are pretty much the only thing I buy from mainstream stores anymore, they do go fast so keep an eye for when the cage securing bolt starts to show.

Back