larva in oatmeal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
So today I went to go feed my chinchilla some oatmeal and i saw this thing: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2089.html, a larva and a small tiny moth and of course I screamed and quickly closed the container. I threw it away and now I am officially scared because I never saw any bugs in the oatmeal whatsoever even this morning and i've been feeding him it almost every day! Will he be okay? I have NO idea how it got into the oatmeal but I am pretty sure it had just hatched. I checked all his food and there was nothing, and I am officially freaked out. He seems fine, his food is all new I got it last Friday. should I double check and throw his food out as well?

Aw geez, there are some chickens that would have LOVED that treat.

Don't worry about it they won't hurt the chin. :))

You may want to check your other grains, cereals and baking goods for them.

Wow! I saw something like that in one of my cages this past weekend when I was cleaning it. Thought nothing of it as it could have come in from the window or whatever. Now I need to check everything in and around the cages carefully. I guess as long as it wouldn't hurt the chins, I'm not as worried.

You could have a pantry moth. We tend to see them more in bird seed, especially with those who have birds. REVENGE seed moth traps are the best out there! What's a lil extra protein? lol

I'm shuddering just thinking about it. My one daughter loves instant oatmeal for breakfast and I bought a box from Safeway. The next morning I opened it and took out one packet to make for her and there was one larva clinging on the packet. I screamed, dropped it and then stomped on it! I was too scared to look inside the box for more so I just through the whole box in a ziplock bag and brought it back to the store.

You could have a pantry moth. We tend to see them more in bird seed, especially with those who have birds. REVENGE seed moth traps are the best out there! What's a lil extra protein? lol

Might have to try that... Obviously I don't want to spray anything to get rid of them. Is that a safe method to get rid of them??

You could try Orange Guard. Its all natural and pet safe and also safe to spray directly into your pantries. It has a pleasant citrus smell too. If its too strong for you you can dilute it with water since it is water based. I mainly use it against plant pests, but it works for others as well.

Back