largest pregnancy weight gain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat75

What is the largest weight gain have you had for a pregnant female?

I currently have a female that is normally in the 820 grams range but she is currently 1197 grams. Here last pregnancy she only gain around 230 grams and had triples. I was expecting her to deliver weeks ago. I know weight can vary for every female and pregnancy. The last time I had a female that gained that much weight she had sextuplets.

Gosh, I have had them all over the place.

The largest gain I have had is with a first time mom. She gained 461 gms and gave birth to triplets. Thought she was going to explode. I have been lucky and not had any litters larger than trips.

I have had others gain:
359 gms and have twins
336 grams and have twins
291 gms and have triplets
283 gms and have triplets
237 gms and have twins
221 gms and have triplets
203 gms and have a single kit

Doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.

The largest gain I have had is with a first time mom. She gained 461 gms and gave birth to triplets. Thought she was going to explode. I have been lucky and not had any litters larger than trips.

Wow 461 grams. Just out of curiosity how large was mom before the pregnancy?

Cat I don't know what to tell you... you all got some *big* chinchillas over there. Pixie and Trixie's grandma was a whopper. Out of curiousity which one of your beauties was this? Expecting any mosaics? *grins* Okay.... bad me... no more babies... least for a while.

Is their mom a chatter box? These girls are the loudest chins I've ever met. Is it normal for babies? They make all sorts of squeaks and such. It's adorable.

Largest weight gain I've had here was 560 grams. The mother was 805 before she got pregnant and then was 1365 by the time she popped. She was HUGE! She ended up having sextuplets though and by the time she was done nursing, even with fostering out 3kits, she only weighed 620. So she had an even bigger weight loss, than gain.

Cheryl

Cat I don't know what to tell you... you all got some *big* chinchillas over there. Pixie and Trixie's grandma was a whopper. Out of curiousity which one of your beauties was this? Expecting any mosaics? *grins* Okay.... bad me... no more babies... least for a while.

Is their mom a chatter box? These girls are the loudest chins I've ever met. Is it normal for babies? They make all sorts of squeaks and such. It's adorable.
Maddy is a pink white bred to a standard. So a mosaic is possible. Regarding Zoey the mother of Pixie and Trixie's she is not much of a talker but the dad was.

Largest weight gain I've had here was 560 grams. The mother was 805 before she got pregnant and then was 1365 by the time she popped. She was HUGE! She ended up having sextuplets though and by the time she was done nursing, even with fostering out 3kits, she only weighed 620. So she had an even bigger weight loss, than gain.

Cheryl
Oh goodness I hope she does not get that big. My first and only litter of sextuplets I thought would be the end of me.

Cat - my girl was close to 700 gms before being put into breeding (707) and ended up at 1168 about a week before delivering. She is pregnant for the 2nd time now so will be interesting to see if history repeats itself.

Missed the edit window. Here is a thread and pictures of my girl with the gain of 461 gms: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29459&highlight=beached+whales

She is the mosaic and there are a couple of pictures of her in the thread. I missed the weight loss at the end of the pregancy - apparently she gained just over 500 gms during the pregnancy but lost about 40 of it towards the end - I just took pre-pregnancy weight and subtracted it from the last weight before delivery. She was just over 1200 gms a little earlier in the pregnancy.

The standard in that thread was the one that 291 gms with triplets.

Back