Knocks over wheel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Sebastian has begun to regularly upset his wheel during the night. I have been having to get up and reposition it so he can keep running. He has a Flying Saucer, btw. Is he just being overzealous with his running or should I weight or secure his wheel in some way? I have been trying to stuff extra bedding around it for support but this doesn't seem to help at all.
This isn't a big deal or anything, I was just curious if it was common.

Sounds like one of the knock off plastic "flying saucers" from the pet store, it would be best just to take it out all together. Unfortunately those things are worthless for chins. They knock them over, aren't large enough, lack sturdiness, and being made out of plastic, they can be chewed up really quick.

The GOOD flying saucers are actually made out of metal. People also use Chin Spins, which work great as well. I have both and love both. They are very quiet, and 100x better and safer than pet store wheels. Any wheel you get from a pet store are wastes of money.

You can buy a Chin Spin or Flying Saucer at www.qualitycage.com

They may seem kind of expensive but they are way worth it.

I saw in your intro post of the pictures of your boy and his cage. I see the cheap pet store flying saucer. That is exactly why is falls over, its cheap plastic. I have both a flying saucer and a chin spin and got both of them used. Chin Spin I found on craigslist for $30 and the saucer on here. Saucer takes up less space and I am thinking about buying another one for a rescue trio I have.

Thanks guys, I will be getting a metal one. I didn't know there were knockoffs of Flying Saucers.. Oh well live and learn!

Lots of good stuff on this forum to learn from! :)) Your baby will be super happy with a chin spin or flying saucer (metal).

Just wondering, I have been looking at both, which takes up less space? It looks like the Chin Spin might be better for space but I like the look of the Flying Saucer more.

The chin spin takes up more space on the side of the cage itself, while the flying saucer takes up more floor space.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. I'm sure he'd be happy with either. Now to decide!! :)

Ya i definately wouldnt put those cheep plastic ones in there. Not only can your chin get hurt it may also chew on the plastic and it could cause a blockage.
A metal flying saucer has to be screwed onto the cage in order for it to work. I have a couple of them and altho my chins took a little while to figure out how to use them, they love them. I also love to watch them run on them....its hilarious

Back